Fresh Tabasco Peppers?

Thanks for all the great feedback/suggestions ... amazing folks here!

At this point I will have to wait for the vendors to start picking ripe pods so I will leave it open here ... anyone who gets them first and wants to sell a few pounds just shoot me a pm and I would be extremely happy to buy them off you. If my sauce works out I'll even mail some back on me if so desired. In the meantime, thinking a strawberry/rhubarb hot sauce and maybe something Caribbean inspired is in the works to keep me occupied ...

strawberry rhubarb sounds pretty good
have you checked the local grocery stores? my mother was in metro yesterday and found so butch t scorpions and that is a first!!!  all though 5 bucks for 6 very small pods isnt really worth it, they were also rotten so they went back. 

Just curious if anyone has any fresh tabasco pods available yet? Should be getting pretty close I think ... shoot me a pm if you want to sell some ;)

I have free Tabasco seeds with SASBE for anyone who is interested; send PM for details.

My single plant isn't quite to full production yet and my own way of preserving pods is the freezer.  I've gathered 2 freezer ziplocks full for making sauce in the Fall.

Still looking if anyone has any fresh tabasco pods to sell? Got my oak barrel waiting and anxious to try my own version of tabasco sauce. Please PM if you can help. :)

I too recommend pepperlover. Judy is great!

I'm not sure how many people grow lots of Tabasco peppers. There may be some.

I had 1 tabasco plant once. Not that there aren't people here that do grow that variety. One of the great things about this website is that there are tons of us that have tons of varieties. I think there is also a tendency to grow towards the hotter end of the spectrum. But our community has growers of all types. Tobasco just seems to be a gateway pepper. People come here because they love Jalapenos, or orange habaneros and want to try other types of peppers, never leave, and end up with a list of a hundred that they love and want to grow each year. at some point tobasco and some of the others fall off the list.

You should seek out some Fatalii - they are likely hotter than what you're looking for but they have the best flavor by far of any pepper I've ever tasted... and I have 500 varieties of seed.

jsschrstrcks - Thanks for the input, guess you make a good point. I'm not looking for something as hot as a fatalii but I agree they have a great flavour. I was hoping to do a tabasco clone as I have had a request for a very close friend to make some for a wedding. With that said, any suggestions on a good alternative? I have maybe 25 cayenne peppers, could use those and maybe combine with something else? If anyone can suggest something to use in place of the tabasco peppers I would be willing to purchase something else?

Back