• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Friends or foes

What are these? Are they friendly or should I keep trying to chase them off? They don'd bite me, they just seem to sit there on my plants. Are they there to feed on my plants or on things that do feed on my plants? Please help.

IMAG0970 by Yemtol, on Flickr

IMAG0919 by Yemtol, on Flickr

IMAG0908 by Yemtol, on Flickr

They are all the same kind of bug. I'm sure of that. They appear to vary in color in conjunction to their size.

Kind of hard to tell what they are from the pics. Though, the leaves on your plants do not look chewed up...

Some sort of winged-ant it looks like to me

I'm not sure what they might do to your peppers, but if they are termites I'd sure hate to think what they might do to your house!

I've been lucky, I comandeered the kids picnic table and kept my potted peppers and asparagus isolated from my in ground garden on on the other side of the property. You don't want to see my broccoli or my anaheims. They're recovering since I invited the toads but not pretty. unfortunately my camera is crap when it comes to anything small. no manual optics focus and only digital zoom. Any idea where I might be able to find a bug line up i could pick it out of?

Not termites, Had them. spent a fortune getting rid of them. They have blunt heads and taper back to a point while resting. They're shaped roughly like an exagerated high end bike helmet. The wing are opaque. At a 3-4mm they're a light green, 5-8 eight they blend in some red and blue, bigger than that and they add yellow, especially to the body. They're pretty, but I don't know why there are so many of them.

found them on the interwebs. They're some kind of leafhopper. Now just need to figure out how to get rid of them.

Eh, I have leafhoppers all over the place. They don't seem to be damaging the plants. Granted they do the same thing as aphids (suck the sap out of the plant), but from what I've observed, they aren't nearly as destructive. If those are the worst pest you have, consider yourself lucky.

Back