• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Friggin Squirrels!!!

HP22BH said:
I have a walnut tree that produces rather profusley. came home today and one had climbed down into the cage and messed with my large reaper. Needless to say, but I will anyway. that pushed the rules of engagement to defcon 6.

looking for a silencer for the shotgun!!

Uh, FYI, DEFCON 5 is peacetime readiness, DEFCON 1 is nuclear war imminent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON
:cheers:

Thankfully I don't have any trees within 20m of the back garden so I've been left pretty much alone this year.  However, the squirrels did make a special exception once my sunflowers started to get full heads on them; they've completely decimated each and every flower that comes to maturity.  I'm going to try some Bhut Puree Persuader on the next round of flowers and see if that has any deterrent ability.

Eat em back, that's what I do.

squirreldump.jpg

In city limits an air rifle might do the trick for you.  I don't believe in killing an animal and not eating it.  Seems like you are tempting Mother Nature to teach you a lesson...she always wins. 

I put together a how to video a while back for a hunting web site.  3 minutes 22 seconds to skin/dress/butcher a squirrel using my method.  Would have been faster but I was in teaching mode.  

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M95ZdVqmXtU&list=TLpU5EnDFveHw[/video]

I hate squirrels, within the past 2 weeks I went from having 3 eggplants, to 1 small sized eggplant. Sooooo upset , need me a 22 but in NY , its very tough now.

They killed my C.lanceolatum,felt like it was my first born. I would have been fine if they killed every plant I have,not my lance!

A quiet method is to use a conibear.  If you have family pets or neighbor's pets visit, don't use this idea.  It works great on rabbits that insist on digging under the fence into the garden.  

They have left my peppers alone, but they have been picking my unripe Key Limes. All the little bastards do with them is pluck them from the tree and eat a little bit of the lime rind.

HP22BH said:
can squirrels taste capsaicin? maybe some reaper puree injected into some peanut butter balls would do the trick. If I go that route, I will have to set up my trail cam to record the event.

Ever seen a squirrel turn RED?
Capsaicin is the plant's natural defense against animals...specifically mammals.  I've used powders to keep deer out of gardens for years and you can also put it in birdseed to keep the squirrels (or bears) out.  It doesn't have to be superhot, a good cayenne powder or even curry will do the trick.

Damn squirrels f ot me today for some sweet peppers I had... left nothing but branches... didnt touch any hot peppers but plenty of digging up soil

They are back and messing around again after a long weekend and then some. I was around to bust some rump with a bb or two. Tonight I think I set the stage to make a point when they come sniffing around my pots. I shook out a whole container of ground cayenne pepper around and into the containers.

NOSE BLEED!!!

Back