• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds From Fruit to seed to new plant... How long ?

Question >> How long does a seed have to rest before it becomes viable for a new plant ?   >> please read on .

I have a Jalapeno pepper plant that made some pretty small peppers this year, but the heat from those little peppers was amazing !. Not sure that I have ever had a hotter Jalapeno.  I will be saving seeds from this plant.

I took one pepper from the plant a little over a month ago. It had already turned red before I picked it. I tossed it on a paper plate and let it sit in the pod for 4 weeks or so. The pod started to wrinkle, but wasn't close to drying out. About two weeks ago I cut that pepper down the side and let it dry out.

So about three days ago I decided that I want to use one or two of these seeds to start a new plant to fill the space that I have in the hydro tent. This is where my question is.... How long does a seed have to rest before it becomes viable for a new plant ?

Thanks !!

Happy Growing,

Jeff

BlackFatalii said:
I have taken seeds out of fresh pods, put them straight into soil and germinated them. No waiting period required.

That my friend is very good new indeed !

Thanks for the reply Black  :P

Jeff

Back