• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Frozen pods/seeds???

I decided to finally thaw out my peppers from last season and the season before that. I made some hot sauce with most of the Orange Habs and dehydrated some Thai Chili's and Portugal Hot's. I thought before completly dehydrating these that I would take out some seeds to air dry.
Has anyone had success planting seeds that were once frozen?

I'm pretty sure freezing means death. little tiny bits of ice form between the cells and that is not good.

I thought it would have been an automatic execution as well. But I wondered if anyone had actually tried it... thanks for your input.

Not saying that they are the same, but corn and soybeans will survive a freeze and still germinate. Like I said though, that doesn't necessarily mean that peppers will.

Both corn and soybeans are mainly endosperm, so that might be a certain "protective" layer, although I do believe the right temperature will kill any seed.

I think it has to do with how dry the seed is when it's frozen. We had this discussion once before, and I looked up in "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth. She stressed the importance of making sure the seeds were carefully dried.

Think about it, they're putting seeds of all kinds into the Doomsday vault for freezing, so there has to be a way to stabilize lots of different kinds of seeds for freezing

If the seeds are dry(less than 8% moisture) then they can be frozen and still germinate but seeds frozen in pod will very likely be no good.

My local greenhouse recommends freezing the seeds. But freezing in the pods??? Plant those seeds and let us know !

I have volunteer peppers sprout every year in my garden. These peppers are what fall to the ground when I strip all the plants every fall. (I live in Ohio)

Germinating Process

So I would like to have these germinate in a paper towel or something of that sort before putting them in soil.

I've never done this before, what would you folks recommend is the best process for this?

Put in a damp paper towel in a freezer bag in a warm place, just make sure the paper dosen't dry out. As soon as they've sprouted put into soil.

I will try that on these frozen seeds tonight... how long do you suspect I should wait before I see some action?

Well I give it a few days before I first check then everyday after that as I find they are really quick to germinate in damp paper towels. Remember though you've frozen the seeds in pods so you might not get any result. Good luck though.

rainbowberry said:
Well I give it a few days before I first check then everyday after that as I find they are really quick to germinate in damp paper towels. Remember though you've frozen the seeds in pods so you might not get any result. Good luck though.

So I checked today (who am I kiddin' I've been checking every day!!!) and nothing yet. A number of the seeds look "swollen" as if ready to pop and a bunch of others have left a nasty brown, rust colored residue on the paper towel but nothing appears to have sprouted yet.

I'll try posting a few pics...

Sydtunes said:
and a bunch of others have left a nasty brown, rust colored residue on the paper towel but nothing appears to have sprouted yet.
I've often found that those are the seeds that don't germinate, with the exception being Rocoto. It's not always been the case but most of the time.

Back