• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Frozen, Vacuum-sealed Fresh Pods

I got a little ahead of myself in the production to knowledge game, and ended up vacuum sealing some fresh pods and then freezing them ... my question is this, where am I at with them at this point? ... Will they have specific features or limitations when I thaw them? Can anyone share their experience w/ freezing vacuum sealed pods?

Since I ordered 3 more SFRB's for delivery this week because I wanted to try some new varieties, I figure I should ask about what I've already done before perhaps ending up doing more the same way (especially if it's a fail and I just haven't learned that yet) ...

Thanks for some input, it's much appreciated!

If it was me I would make a mash with those frozen peppers since they won't last very long after they are thawed (look up the thread on making mash)

Freezing pods will make the pods become a bit mushy when they are thawed. The flavor should still be the same. But if you want to use them in anything were texture is important then you'll probably not want to use frozen pods.

If it was me I would make a mash with those frozen peppers since they won't last very long after they are thawed (look up the thread on making mash)

I planned for that to happen, by making very small pouches w/ combinations I would likely use over the course of only a handful of days ... will look into mashes ... thanks.

Freezing pods will make the pods become a bit mushy when they are thawed. The flavor should still be the same. But if you want to use them in anything were texture is important then you'll probably not want to use frozen pods.

This would be consistent w/ pretty much everything else we've 'fresh frozen' and most of the peppers I've saved are the one's we use for curry dishes (where it's not very important) ...

I think I should probably look at some of the canning, mashing, smoking threads sooner than later, huh ...

vac sealing before freezing will make them somewhat harder to break apart when frozen after you open the vac seal. Freezing then vac sealing the back into freezer keeps them separated. Also the pre vac will cause juices to come out and freeze on the outside of the pods, so keep that in mind when opening the vac while frozen.

vac sealing before freezing will make them somewhat harder to break apart when frozen after you open the vac seal. Freezing then vac sealing the back into freezer keeps them separated. Also the pre vac will cause juices to come out and freeze on the outside of the pods, so keep that in mind when opening the vac while frozen.

Good tip, makes sense! Thx.

Back