• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fruity chile' besides hab?

Made a batch of apricot/habanero sauce today and while I'm really happy with my recipe I'm finding it lacking in heat. I admit I'm a tad ignorant when it comes to the new "super-hots" and wondering if y'all could make a suggestion as to some other peppers I could try. I have some reaper and tried that but the flavor profile is way off for what I'm going for in this particular sauce. Naturally sweet and fruity is what I'm looking for with a more complex heat that habs alone can provide. Happy to post recipe if you like.

Bayoubear said:
Made a batch of apricot/habanero sauce today and while I'm really happy with my recipe I'm finding it lacking in heat. I admit I'm a tad ignorant when it comes to the new "super-hots" and wondering if y'all could make a suggestion as to some other peppers I could try. I have some reaper and tried that but the flavor profile is way off for what I'm going for in this particular sauce. Naturally sweet and fruity is what I'm looking for with a more complex heat that habs alone can provide. Happy to post recipe if you like.
how many habs did you use and how many ounces of sauce was in your finished batch ?

And welcome !

Fataliis are nice and fruity. A little sweeter than habs, and about the same heat level.

Also try moruga scorpions and nagas

18 small Habs, seeded
1 small onion, minced fine.
1/2 cup Apricot jam
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1/4 cup  pineapple juice
2 tsp salt
1 tsp red pepper flake
1 Tbs crushed garlic
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 and 1/2 cup water.

Cook covered for ten minutes, stirring often. Puree in a blender or use a stick blender then
Add 1/4 tsp Xanthan gum while using  blender.

Makes one pint plus two 5oz bottles.

I use about 30 habs with everything except the stems for the same amount and there is plenty of heat for most people . You could always add some super hot powder or a super hot pepper or two for some extra kick.

Back