• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Fruity Fatalii Fire Hot Sauce

Downriver

Extreme Member
While I'm waiting for our friends from Oz to start making sauces using this year's harvest, I decided to make some room in the freezer and throw a sauce of my own together the other day.

I was thinking tropical, fruity, not red, with a kick. Here's where I went.

Some of the original ingredients for the concoction. I did end up changing a few things as I kept digging around the kitchen. Things like out with the honey, in with agave nectar, lime juice instead of lemon juice, added pineapple and ginger. (redskin potatoes not included):lol:

P1010016-1.jpg

Diced up and on the stove to cook for a while.
P1010017-1.jpg

Blended then refrigerated overnight to check for separation. Brought back to room temp and checked pH.
P1010019-1.jpg

TBC...

DownRiver ...... Thanks for this recipe !! I made the Dreadie version yesterday. I love Fatalli peppers but I don't have many left from last season. So I would still have some to cook with I cut the Fatalii weight to 11 oz. I thought it would still be pretty hot. I added 8 oz of Grenada Seasoning peppers , no heat just an aroma like a Scotch Bonnet . Figured it would add a little something and go along with fruity theme.

At first I follow your measurements, except for the peppers . Cooked it for a while and tasted it. It tasted pretty good but I thought for me it needed to be a little sweeter and more fruity. So I added a little more Agave and about 1/2 cup of OJ. Great .....

Well this morning after Mich wore off I tasted it again. Super !! I ended up with 2 3/4 quarts of sauce.

Thanks again & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Frozen Fatalli

FrozenFatalii.jpg

Frozen Fatalli and Grenada Seasoning Peppers

Both.jpg

Finished Sauce

FFFSauce.jpg

PDreadie, that looks SOOOOOO yummy!

DownRiver, love this recipe!
We changed it as no Fatalii on hand (used Savinas as thats what we had on hand, and mostly deseeded to suit), plus we have no access to Agave, so substituted with palm sugar...
But! It worked brilliantly. A friends son works up at Gove in the NT (Australia) and brought fresh Barramundi steaks down on ice yesterday. Barra was gutted, cleaned and cut on the spot, then placed on ice.
We made a sauce to basically your recipe on Wednesday, and let it rest til last night.
Barramundi is pretty flavourless, yet a soft flesh that lends itself to a strong marinade, but these 1" steaks, with a light marinade of the raw sauce, wrapped in foil and on a hot grill...
Damn.
Savs were a bit over-powering (in that 'chemical-smelling' way), but the lime juice, mango and sugar really set it off.
It's definitely a good sauce for fish tho'.

ps. Lime is a better choice than lemon as it doesnt cook the fish as quick? Not that I mind raw fish. :)

Glad to see you folks are actually making this sauce. I think the tweaks are some good variations. Next time I make it, I might use some of them. :lol:

:whispers to SL "yours is in the mail": ;)

:woohoo:
:dance: :salsalady quietly doing the happy dance:

guess what showed up in the mail today!

Thanks, DownRiver!
fruitiifataliisauce002.jpg

Of Course, we immediately cracked it open and dug in. SalsaDude poured about half a chip full and SalsaKid did also. 'Dude chewed the chip and then got that WOAH! look on his face. 'Kid didn't see what dad did, so he filled up his chip, took a couple chews and then got that "Oh, Crap!" look on his face, spit the rest of the chip in the sink and stuck his head under the kitchen faucet.

He ended up having to suck on some honey...lol!

I took a more tempered approach. I licked about a teaspoon off of the chip to start with to get the flavor, and then started eating with the chips.

It has a really nice sweet mango flavor, just a hint of pineapple and then WHAM! comes the fataliis. Just as you described it. It has a almost searing burn on the front of the tongue. Not a lot of lip burn or back of the throat burn. After several bites, I got a little sweat on the upper lip.

Took a break for a few minutes to chew on an ice cube (I know...not the right thing to use, but my tongue felt like it was seared and the cold felt better.) It's been about 15 minutes and my tongue still feels the pain a little bit. Just went back for more....

Check out how thick this stuff is-
SalsaDude asked what the thickener was and was surprised when I told min nothing, just the fruits.
fruitiifataliisauce003.jpg

Good consistency, if maybe just a TEEENSY bit too thick, great color, of course and not a lot of seeds. I really like the fruiti taste at the start and I think it could use a little more lime/citrus to offset the sweetness. I would have a hard time just sitting down and just eating the sauce with chips because of the heat level, but I don't have that high of tolerance yet. And I didn't get any ginger taste. I like ginger, so I would put more ginger in and reduce some of the peppers to allow more of the flavors to come through.

This recipe is very adaptable to whomever's personal taste. Add more or less peppers, it's up to the chef~

And the label was a nice touch ;) how about Fruiti Fatalii Fire hot sauce (fruiti with an "i")?

Thanks again for sending me a sample, DownRiver. We'll try this on some foods and see how it works. Have a pork roast thawing for dinner so~~~~ sounds like a good first dish to try it on to me!

All in all, Well Done for a first go-around!

salsalady

Thanks SalsaFamily for giving it a try!

And thanks for the feedback. I definitely agree it's a little too thick. It's more like a shake sauce than a pour sauce - not my favorite. It's my understanding that carrot is a thickener, so maybe I'll cut back on that some as well.

I don't think I would just sit down with a bottle and a bag a chips either. A tad too intense for me as well.

Just out of curiosity, on a scale of 1-10, what would each of you rate it from a heat perspective?
I'm still trying to get a handle on what other folks consider "hot".

And I like the "Fruiti" with an "I" idea. Thanks :)

Let me know if you try it on some food. I've used it as a finishing sauce on pork and chicken so far, and it was very good.

Thanks again for trying it out. :onfire:

Hey DR,

We've been using it on egg scrambles, breakfast egg sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches and it has gone very well with all those types of dishes. I tried it on some roasted pork, and I got a really weird metallic/chemical taste. I don't know what that was all about, it may have been interacting with some other spice we had in the sauce/gravy. But I'm not writing pork off the options list just yet. I think it needs another try with a different pork recipe.

SalsaDude was eating it on pizza and he thought it was great. For him, it was an instant BAM of heat. He said he couldn't get past the heat to taste any of the other flavors, but he didn't have to get milk or sugar.

For a heat level, I'd put it up there around 8.5 just because I know there's some others out there that are off the charts. It has a lot of punch, but it is still eatable. SalsaDude says it's "up There" but he hasn't tasted any of the extreme sauces either, so it's hard to compare.

Back