• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Full sun or partial sun?

For those of you that are experienced with these strains, please help. My sprouts are ready to go in the ground, but I need to know whether to plant in full sun or partial shade. For instance, I have been told Fatalii's like full sun, but then read that they do best in partial shade. Please let me know what you think...

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Peruvian White Habanero
Trinidad 7 Pod white
Bradley’s Bahamian
Aji limon Peru yellow
Fatalii
Chocolate Habanero
Aribibi
Dorset Naga

Peppers like full sun, it's the amount of time in it that you need to be aware of. I can't tell you which species can handle more or which ones less, you'll have to watch them and learn and adjust as necessary. The only ones that I worry about are 7 Pot Barrackpores.

Good luck!

Problem is they are going in the ground, not pots. I'm sure someone has grown these before and can give me some advice.

If it was up to me I would go with partial shade as long as they get four or five hours of full sun. About the only drawback of 100% full time sun is you have to water more often. You may get some pods turning purplish but they ripen the correct color. The purple is the plants "tan".

Where are you in CA and what is the climate like? Full sun for me = certain death in the summer without a fair amount of babysitting. Mine seem to prefer morning sun to midday. But again, it'll depend highly on where you are, how dry it gets, how often it rains, what the cloud conditions are, and what the temps are.

Too many factors to tell . Depends on temps, soils, and time of year. Here in Florida during the summer my plants can only handle a few hours of direct sun . During the winter months six to eight hours makes them happy. Some of the best growers I know have full sun on there plants all day. Even in the summer. :crazy:

Jamie

all the ones listed prefur full sun

but i have noticed that most with e exception of say C. PREATERMISSUM species dont produce as much fruit if they are limited to the amount of light they are ggetting, i have seen thits 2 years in a row in my garden

i plant some of my overages and non essential near my fence and they get about three to four hours of sun before the sum moves and the fence casts its shadow, they produce less but they seem to do alright
hope this helps thanks joe

Where are you in CA and what is the climate like? Full sun for me = certain death in the summer without a fair amount of babysitting. Mine seem to prefer morning sun to midday. But again, it'll depend highly on where you are, how dry it gets, how often it rains, what the cloud conditions are, and what the temps are.

I'm in Temecula, CA and temps reach 100 regularly in the summer.

Too many factors to tell . Depends on temps, soils, and time of year. Here in Florida during the summer my plants can only handle a few hours of direct sun . During the winter months six to eight hours makes them happy. Some of the best growers I know have full sun on there plants all day. Even in the summer. :crazy:

Jamie

Everything will be planted in grow boxes with organic soil, full sun, and covered with weedblock and bark to retain moisture.

all the ones listed prefur full sun

but i have noticed that most with e exception of say C. PREATERMISSUM species dont produce as much fruit if they are limited to the amount of light they are ggetting, i have seen thits 2 years in a row in my garden

i plant some of my overages and non essential near my fence and they get about three to four hours of sun before the sum moves and the fence casts its shadow, they produce less but they seem to do alright
hope this helps thanks joe

So, would it be safe to plant as planned in full sun with all the added info above?

Just watch 'em like a hawk on hot days. Especially when it *first* starts to really creep up there. We're about to hit that point here (seeing low/mid 90s the next two days) and they are very susceptible.

My pots get moved to receive more shade in mid-summer, but obviously you don't have that option.

That being said, those chinenses will handle it a little better, IME. Good luck! Would love to see photos.

I think there is a common misconception about the term "full sun"...full sun does not mean daylight to dark...​
I lifted this from a link on the net..​
plants usually come labeled with their sun exposure requirements. Measuring sun exposure for plants is not an exact science. There will always be variables such as cloudy days and places where it gets to be 100 degrees in the shade. The definitions below are the generally accepted standards for determining sun exposure in the garden.
  • Full Sun: At least 6 full hours of direct sunlight. Many sun lovers enjoy more than 6 hours per day, but need regular water to endure the heat.
  • Partial Sun / Partial Shade: These 2 terms are often used interchangeably to mean 3 - 6 hours of sun each day, preferably in the morning and early afternoon.
    - However if a plant is listed as Partial Sun, greater emphasis is put on its receiving the minimal sun requirements.

- If a plant is listed as Partial Shade, the plant will need some relief from the intense late afternoon sun, either from shade provided by a nearby tree or planting it on the east side of a building.
  • Dappled Sun: Dappled sunlight is similar to partial shade. It is the sun that makes its way through the branches of a deciduous tree. Woodland plants and underplantings prefer this type of sunlight over even the limited direct exposure they would get from partial shade.
  • Full Shade: Less than 3 hours of direct sunlight each day, with filtered sunlight during the rest of the day. Full shade does not mean no sun. There aren't many plants, except mushrooms, that can survive in the dark.

Thanks for the info AJ I was wondering how my plants were going to go as I'm currently chasing sun in what seems a ridiculously shaded yard (no matter where I go I get 6 hours tops).

I had always assumed 8 hours. Guess its less than that. Interesting...

Still, though, you have to admit that many garden seeds/plantings are generally geared towards our northern neighbors, huh, AJ?

"Full sun", "spring planting" "last frost date" and "warm season" may/may not correspond. :)

I think there is a common misconception about the term "full sun"...full sun does not mean daylight to dark...​

I lifted this from a link on the net..

plants usually come labeled with their sun exposure requirements. Measuring sun exposure for plants is not an exact science. There will always be variables such as cloudy days and places where it gets to be 100 degrees in the shade. The definitions below are the generally accepted standards for determining sun exposure in the garden.
  • Full Sun: At least 6 full hours of direct sunlight. Many sun lovers enjoy more than 6 hours per day, but need regular water to endure the heat.

Thanks AJ, unfortunately/fortunately, I only have a spot that gets 8+ hours every day. That's why I hope raised beds coupled with perforated weedblock and mulch will keep them healthy.

Good luck! Would love to see photos.

Jalapeno
7111373817_6637e512ac_z.jpg

Aribibi
6965299456_687428aecd_z.jpg

Bradley's Bahamian
7111375611_cf42f1fdd3_z.jpg

Aji Limon
7111376115_92a456510b_z.jpg

7 Pod White
6965301460_c8e0bf8517_z.jpg

Fatalii
7111377921_ba00f91f01_z.jpg

Peruvian White
6965303376_a2125015cd_z.jpg

Dorset Naga
6965304224_1d2a712733_z.jpg

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
7111380461_f724c2dbae_z.jpg

Anyone know what this is?
6965305782_39c77f4bf7_z.jpg

Nice lookin' plants! Dunno what that last thing is, but I'd love to know!

What is the Bradley's Bahamian? I have Bahamian Finger going this year. Is it similar?

Nice lookin' plants! Dunno what that last thing is, but I'd love to know!

What is the Bradley's Bahamian? I have Bahamian Finger going this year. Is it similar?

Not sure but the description was cool...Pepperlover threw them in for free along with the Dorset naga.

I have been growing in full sun with many daylight hours. I was before growing in full sun with less daylight hours, ie there were trees on either side the sun went behind, and my plants did much better. I have not resorted back to less sun, partial shade and my planrts are loving it.

If you already had them in a raised bed with full sun all day, why did you post the thread?

You say full sun is only option, guess it is what it is.

Back