• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun full sun

Really it depends on the temperature, too. I am originally from Houston, so am familiar with your type of weather. I now live in Ohio, and growing here is very different from growing in the south. Here we have a very short growing season, and days above 90F are few. Because of this, my peppers are pretty much in full sun all day. The only ones I've found so far that don't think this is a great idea are pubescens. They'll grow and flower all summer in the sun, but they don't produce pods until fall. I've grown annuums, chiinense and baccatuum, and they all love full sun.

You, however, have a much longer growing season, and have more days above 90F than we ever get. Over 90F the plants tend to slow production, even to the point of stopping production until the temperatures cool down. Putting them in a place that gets some shade (be it from surrounding structures and/or shade cloth) is a good idea for your area. You will still likely get a slowing or stoppage of production in the highest temps, but they'll resume in the fall. Keep in mind that peppers do best with at least 6 hours of sun a day.

Back