• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fully grown peppers taking forever to "ripen/turn red"??

A question for one of my fellow advanced pepper growers...I have a nice 4 month old 20-24" tall African Bird's Eye chile pepper plant that is doing amazing! It has flourished with a bounty of probably 6-7 dozen peppers in total on the plant as we speak, about 3 dozen of these peppers are fully grown (reached the terminal limit for the variety) and have been fully grown now for at least 5-6 weeks now, are very firm, bright green, and healthy as all get out. The variety of this pepper plant has it's peppers turning a very bright red when ripe, and all the research that I've done on this variety shows the plant's peppers ripening on the plant to a brilliant red...am I missing something here??, does anyone have any ideas why they aren't "red/ripe" by now??, should I just be patient as they just may be the type of variety that takes forever to turn red??...or should I be picking them and letting them ripen "post picking"??...any Idea's???

Anthony :confused:

Takes a long time for our chiltepins to finally turn red but when they do its almost overnight.  I may see one yellow in the morning leaving for work and come home to pretty red and ripe 9 hrs later.  Similar plant so you may see same.

Yup they take forever, ive got a few plants where pods stopped growing just after new years and have only just started ripening last week. Thats nearly 9 weeks. It is frustrating but just give it time. wont be long im sure.

I've had 7 pod barrackapores all fat and juicy now for atleast 4 weeks .. There all still light green and wanting .. Ripening is always the worst part after waiting for pods to take.. Patience is a virtue lol

Back