• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fungal Gnats? Nutritional Deficiency? Help?!?

Hey guys,  this is my first season growing and my plants have been doing well until the last couple of weeks.  I think I have fungal gnats flying around the plants and hanging around the soil but there are also these white spots on the bottom of my Bishop's Crown and I think it is killing it.  Anybody know what this is?  Is it the gnats or something else?  Will Azamax kill it?  Thanks for the help.

12442097835_08f90975b9_c.jpg

12442096905_c45548e28b_c.jpg

12442098715_61ceda783d_c.jpg

I have some gnats too but apparently only the common type. The underside of that leaf doesn't look too good. In my three seasons, I have only used Bonide Garden Dust(?) and, more recently, Neem oil spray from Germany. One of those might help but I will defer to the growers here w/more experience than me. Doing a Google search for dealing w/ fungal gnats might land you a result that you desire as well.

Is that an over winter plant? It looks like it could be aphids, but I'm not sure. Fungus gnats come from the soil so they won't be hanging around the underside of the leaf...at least I've never seen them do that.

I started from seed a few months ago. Trying to get a jump on the growing season. I picked up some Fungicide3 and an insect killer from Walmart earlier. Hoping for the best.

Some type of aphid or spider mite. I get those on overwinters (along with gnats) and control with homemade soapy garlic spray (~2 times/week). Extremely tough to eliminate on indoor plants.Typically they don't seem to go away until about a month after going back outside. Nature's predators work best.

Non wettable powdered sulphur works too. I put it into pantyhose then use that like a paddle ball on my hand to dust the plants. Tops and bottoms of leaves.

Trippa said:
Azamax will not kill broad mites ... Best control is wettable sulphur

I wish I had known about sulfur earlier. It seems to work on all insects. Great advice.

mx5inpa said:
Non wettable powdered sulphur works too. I put it into pantyhose then use that like a paddle ball on my hand to dust the plants. Tops and bottoms of leaves.

I wish I had known about sulfur earlier. It seems to work on all insects. Great advice.
Its hard on the plants in hot weather and kills soil microbes and good bugs as well so it should only be used sparingly if needed

Back