• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fungus Gnats, remedies?

So now I'm like 99% sure I'm infested with them.  I noticed them like 10-14 days ago at the base of my Jalapeno, had no idea what they were, someone mentioned fungus gnats

However last night I noticed my huge watermelon tote had many of them, they are all over, flying just inches off the soil, a few walking on the soil, etc.  I tried digging about 2 inches down near the edge of each container, and I couldn't see any "larva", but the flying ones are hard enough to see by eye, so I'm sure larva is even harder to spot?  Just a few minutes ago I placed a cut potatoe on the soil to see what happens here in an hour or two......  

So now, for trying to rid this problem, here are tips I've gathered online.  

1st quit watering so much, peppers can take very dry conditions between waterings, but damn they grow so well currently!  The only thing that worries me is the fact that when I do a soil check (rip up about 1 inch of soil at the edge of the container) I see roots, so I've been scared of letting them dry out.  When I do water, I always deep water.

2 I'm running a box fan angled at the soil right at this moment in an attempt to dry it out a little as the surface is soaked.  I just flushed my plants 2 days ago, and now temps are a lot cooler and muggy (rained last night, rain doesn't hit my plants, but makes it humid clearly)

3.  I've read people saying to remove the top 2 inches of soil from the container and replace with fresh soil, as most the larva are there, but I'm worried about ripping tons of roots out.

4. sprinkling cinnamon over the top of the soil once its dry

Now when it comes to the soil and drying.  My buckets have at least 15+ holes in the bottom, water drains out easily when I water, and if I don't water for 2 days in warm dry weather, while the top inch will get dry, it almost seems as if lower than that always stays soggy (although I can't verify this fully).  A couple weeks ago I did go out and put around 15 holes towards the base all the way around the containers (half the holes about 1" from the bottom, the others around 3" from the bottom) I did this to help aerate the soil better.  The holes are only about 1/4-3/8" in size.  Even when I flushed my plants with WAY to much water the other day, water does not come out the side holes, so the bottom holes must be doing a plenty good draining job.  

One idea I had in my mind, not sure if it would be good or not, so definitely need input on this.  I was considering cutting holes around my buckets, anywhere from like 1"x2", up to like 2" x 4" or something, and using window screen to cover the holes.  I was thinking about doing them varying from near the bottom, to either 1/2 way up the container or maybe a little higher (but no where near surface soil, as the surface soil already get oxygen and drys.  I know people grow in "grow bags" or other types of things that breath all around the soil, and I think this would help give oxygen, and help all the soil all get somewhat dry between waterings and help problems.  

Or if your plants are outside, and mature, you just don't worry about it... Fungus gnats are a threat to small plants - primarily seedlings.

Seriously. Fungus gnats are the most overrated pest, ever.

You are wasting your time with this issue this late in the season.

solid7 said:
Or if your plants are outside, and mature, you just don't worry about it... Fungus gnats are a threat to small plants - primarily seedlings.

Seriously. Fungus gnats are the most overrated pest, ever.

You are wasting your time with this issue this late in the season.
Well my biggest issue is I'm going to over winter my Jalapeno plant, possibly even try to continue fruiting with it all winter.  

Towlieee said:
Well my biggest issue is I'm going to over winter my Jalapeno plant, possibly even try to continue fruiting with it all winter.
So why not treat it at the time that it's actually a problem?

If you overwinter, surely you are going to re-pot in new media, right?

solid7 said:
So why not treat it at the time that it's actually a problem?

If you overwinter, surely you are going to re-pot in new media, right?
I'm growing in 5 gallon buckets, was planning on leaving the Jalapeno in the bucket.  Early next spring I was considering transplanting to a 7-10 gallon bucket, but its doing great so far.

I ran a fan on my melons all day, the top is dried out, but now it seems the fungus gnats are in full force!   I saw at least 20 flying just around the base of one plant, and ALL over my 45 gallon tote.  ugh.  

edit: I've ran the fan on my melons most the night, they've had about 12-14 hours of a box fan on medium aimed right ta the soil.  Damn soil is still damp an inch down!  Now I realize how bad I was over watering (been three days since I watered!)  Also ran the fan on my peppers for like 4 hours so far, just went out and switched it from the melons back to the peppers.  The peppers have always seemed to dry out faster, I only checked about 1.5" down and the soil was dry.  I also went ahead and sprinkled cinnamon across the soil, kinda worked it into the top inch of everythng.  

I know peppers can take more of a drought than melons, even to the point of just starting to wilt, so I'l monitor them closely and water them at  the last might.  Only thing that worries me is my Jalapeno plant has a good 90+ peppers starting on it, I don't want it to abort most of them due to lack of nutes and water!

One thing that's had my confused, the fact that melons are heavy drinkers, peppers aren't, but when I've been watering, there have been day's i've skipped the melons, as the peppers would be dry 1-1.5" down, and the melons would still be soaked on the surface!  I contribute thta to the fact the melons are in 40 gallons of soil, maybe that's it....  My drainage is great for my containers, even recently added holes to the bottom sides just to double check.

Back