• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Fuzzy Pepper Plants ?!?

I found these at an odd fruit stand (operated by a family from Peru) in late 2012:
Bolivian-Carrot-Pepper-Pods-keep-really-well-as-these-had-been-left-out-in-90degree-heat-for-weeks-before-getting-stinky.jpg

Serrano peppers are always available here at most of the major grocery chains, but these didn't strike me as Serrano's.

I didn't get around to actually growing them last year, but now I finally am and look at this:
Bolivian-Carrot-Pepper-has-fuzzy-leaves1.jpg

Bolivian-Carrot-Pepper-has-fuzzy-leaves.jpg

Bolivian-Carrot-Pepper-has-fuzzy-leaves2.jpg

Remind you of Rocoto peppers, right? Well they came from yellow seeds and look at the flowers:
Bolivian-Carrot-Pepper-flower.jpg

Now the stand operators I know didn't grow them. They might have picked them up in Plant City, but since I've never seen them again in this city I'm guessing he got them from the big terminal where everything comes in from the port. Here in Tampa we get lots of Ag imports from all over Central & South America.

Oh, also they had been sitting out without refrigeration for maybe a week before I bought them, he practically gave me the entire case that was left. I can't remember for sure, but I think that photo was taken after I left most of them out in the hot patio for over another week. While they did eventually get knappy, I've never seen pods keep so well considering.

I'm also noticing some variability in how fuzzy each plant seems to be. I'll be selecting the fuzziest one now to plant in big dirt...

i would say yes they are serranos they are not the common one you ususally encounter at the grocery store

it is either a "Fire" Serrano or a "Hidalgo" Serrano i am somewhat familaiar with both and there very similar to such a degree i cant tell them apart

on another note there still considered an Annum species in spite of there pubescent look

good peppers

thanks your friend Joe

Whoa, those look just like the serranos i got at the mexican market two years ago that ive been looking for ever since. They had far better flavor than your average serrano. they look more orange than red and come to think of it they lasted on the counter a couple weeks before getting any softness and a few rippened more yellow than orange. Likely just a coincidence but i am interested if there are seeds available i would gladly pay or trade for them?

Thanks. The guy i got them from didn't have a name for them so I started calling them Bolivian Carrot but then when just I found that serrano's are known for fuzz I feel like a major douche.

I sell the seeds & now plants in my site, but I'm always open to trades.

Dr.Peppar said:
Thanks. The guy i got them from didn't have a name for them so I started calling them Bolivian Carrot but then when just I found that serrano's are known for fuzz I feel like a major douche.

hit the internet with the two names i gave you and whatch what you come it with
FIRE SERRANO  or  HIDALGO SERANNO
thanks your friend Joe

Yeah I'll be well documenting the growth and the eventual fruits to best nail it down.... for now I suppose I'll just have to amend the product page explaining the affair.

Dr.Peppar said:

:doh:  :rofl:

Great looking site. I had a look at your list (as deep as the marianus trench i might add) and i think the only thing that might interest you is goat weed or a small cream yellow pube not sure if its manzano or rocoto my local latin community where i sourced it call any pepper with black seeds manzano and they call the goats weed, diablo. If one or the other or both interest you pm me. I would gladly send mine first considering my low post count.

otherwise i'll just order em with the cc when i get to a computer thats not still windowXP with negative security. Dont want cc getting hijacked.

I can't comment on the pods, but agree with everyone that they're serrano plants. The plant photo's look a lot like the serrano plants I have growing currently, though I honestly don't know what type of serrano's I have as I picked the plants up from a local garden center and they were labelled simply as serrano pepper.

willard3 said:

You mean Tampiqueño.....from Tampico?

It's definitely a serrano.

Yip that place.  It is a serrano varietal from that place - it has a somewhat different flavour apparently - I can't vouch for that cos I have never tasted it.  But I did read it on internet and they never lie ;)

You will find that, at least in Méjico, many people give a local, usually a state name, to a chile that is common.

Oaxaca has a chilaca with their state name as does Tampico as does Morelos as does Jalisco and etc.

You will find that, at least in Méjico, many people give a local, usually a state name, to a chile that is common.

Oaxaca has a chilaca with their state name as does Tampico as does Morelos as does Jalisco and etc.

Oye compá necésitas classes de ortografía.

Se dicé México no Méjico.

Back