• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

G.I.P.'s 2017 "oh HAIL no" Glog

This is currently a placeholder for what i will attempt to piece together as a Glog for this year 

I took hardly any pics of my seedlings, :(  and when the weather was finally warm enough at night for my plants to go outside;  They got shredded by hail, nearly drown in rains for days straight, tore up by winds. :mope:

Long story shortened, my season has had a rough start and most of my plants don't look so good  :neutral:

So, although my plants are not nearly as nice as many others who have Glogs i have been following.
I will attempt to keep a log of this years grow anyway :)

Pics to follow soon...

:cheers:

Its about time! LOL!

Seriously, everything is looking good. Great list. I got use to the hail until this year. Every year hail, blossom drop, new growth and pods in September. Never had pods this early in the game and still don't. I envy you.

I'm glad you through together some pics. I was going to tell you to start posting in my glog. LOL!

Hers to a quick recovery of the plants and a bountiful harvest.

Thanks for sharing!

I like the bunny.

Beautiful flowers and fantastic glog! I didn't realize how extensive your grow was. Everything from ornamentals to a$$-blasters. I'm bummed that I didn't grow a Peach Wasp again this year. They have a nice, sharp heat and taste a lot better than habs, IMO. I still love the look of the "Frutegum" varieties. Huge calyxes! Great job!

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

While my season will be okay,  and i will still get quite a few pods, this was my original growlist for this year;

2017 list ;
Chacoense
Congo Chacoense 
Tovarii 
Lanceolatum
Eximium CGN 19198
Eximium CGN 24332 
Huge Rocopica ? 
Rocopica - Cardenasii cross
sm. Orange Rocoto

There were so many peppers that i only grew one of, that i'll have to remember to grow again next year. or i may forget an never get to try them :(

Wow! That was an impressive list. And don't worry, I'll try to remind you to regrow everything  :)

Yes, I feel i got very lucky during that bad hailstorm 
the pics of the damage it did to your peppers was Devastating   :tear: my condolences. I would be heartbroken after raising the babies all winter if it whiped me out completely  :mope:
 No worries, it's a hobby and the journey is a fair amount of the reward. I won't be completely empty handed. I'll just have to enjoy a slightly less diverse crop. I had a few "runts" that were extras. I got them planted this past week; needless to say, they're the new big kids on the block!
ysls7r6.jpg

Most of my damaged plants are coming back in some way and now it seems like I might have to try my hand at Bonchi growing. If I get lucky on some new lower branch growth, a couple of these will have truly gnarly trunks. 
6vEdmgr.jpg

Hatch (Minnesnowtaheim?  :lol: )
Oh hell yes!

here's a tiny teaser update...

just a few pics of some pods i picked already (sure pays to start some early :dance: )

6LOAZXP.jpg

TiQvO5R.jpg

Pepperlover  Bonnet-bell

and this next one was Tangerine dream  last year, but is clearly not this year :( (different shape and no longer ripens to orange ) oh well it is still plenty prolific and early, hope they dont taste bad  :neutral:
FCMsHGJ.jpg

nnxhIsg.jpg

I'll get some cut pics and taste descriptions up tomorrow :)

thanks for stopping by

cut pics and taste descriptions:

Pepperlover bonnetbell
grown indoors in foxfarm ocean forest, worm castings and added perlite.  fed with kelp tea once just after transplant 

v8sNoMs.jpg

I had two plants with distinctly different phenos.  Here they are next to an US quarter

HPZyaOt.jpg

and here they are sliced .

for reference we will call the squat lobed more bonnet shaped one type 1,
and the longer mini bell shaped one type 2
(note: This is not my cross and i am not attempting to rename anything, just keep track and tell them apart in the following description)

Type 1 had no noticeable heat on the lobes, but once I got to the placental tissues inside it had IMO about a jalapeño level heat (not a HOT jalapeno just an average one). But distinctly different than the annum jalapeño burn.
It actually built a tiny bit, but then never really went anywhere with the heat (it never got :hot: )   the heat lingered a little longer than many annums but gently. The last place to have any remaining heat was on the lips and again it was gentle not anything painful or anywhere close to scotch bonnet level heat even, and only in the placental tissue.

The more bell shaped phenotype we will refer to as type 2, was far more fruity tasting with no noticeable heat, but still distinctly different than just a mini bell. it was: more fruity then any red bell I've had before. I probably should have ate this one first as I could detect no heat in any part of this pepper.

The aftertaste of both was that of a bell pepper. 

These were both still early pods (though not the first runty pods) I will do further review later after hopefully I get another flush of peppers from these two plants. since they have been transplanted outdoors now. 

thank you for listening to me attempt to explain my opinion of how this relatively new cross taste 

please ask questions, leave criticism, let me know if you'd like to read more reviews and see cut pics of each of the types that i am growing, etc.

G.I.P.

updates: i knew i had more pics (some were on wife's phone )

We will start with more pics of the damaged, half drown, stripped by wind and hail, wrecked looking plants that are still hangin on. Then move onto some of the nicer looking plants :)

NmJV1Ay.jpg
PBCqIzb.jpg
fW2LDtT.jpg

Aji Omnicolor plants 

Jx1wPqJ.jpg

Aji Arnaucho

vmGk8ha.jpg

Aji Arnaucho 

chfYasx.jpg

Dulce Sol  (PL)

mQFQ00p.jpg

Grenada Seasoning

mQ3Fjun.jpg

Maras Biber

0V01y7y.jpg

red Bhut trying to come back 

fYg4V2m.jpg

Sweet-Heat 

6lwtCXw.jpg

Sugar Rush cream 

HGk6Xxs.jpg

Serrano x Bulgarian carrot  hangin' in there 

JR4IzYo.jpg

Tabasco trying to make a comeback

GTZvAgE.jpg

Tangerine dream with what looks like the correct phenotype got nearly killed, :mope: it might survive 

5nGZCny.jpg

orange Bbg7 x (PdNxBhut) red  overwintered plant 

lEwOW0Z.jpg

Chacoense *most prolific (PL) overwintered plant 

1lxjkbP.jpg

Sugar rush cream overwintered plant 

6nycYsT.jpg

Yellow Manzano overwintered plant 

y4P6FWw.jpg

Peru Bitdumi Rocoto (PL) overwintered plant 

WAJFLsu.jpg

Pimenta Puma x Reaper (FFF) light foliage peach pod phenotype overwintered plant 

rZbWzqd.jpg

Pimenta Puma x Reaper (FFF) dark foliage red pods overwintered plant 

Back