• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Gallon or quarts?

I started my seeds in jiffy pellets and was about to pot some up seeing as the amount roots there are. I have access to all the pots I need, so pot size doesn't matter. Should I put them in 1 gal or quarts? They will eventually go into 5's or 7's, just seems like the advantage with quarts is saving on the amount of soil I would use , plus the quarts have 15 count trays if I need to move them, I'm thinking quarts.....

regardless "mind your P's and Q's" ;)

I prefer to go from Solo's straight to a final location. That means only 1 transplant ever!

i do the exact opposite of cayenne, from germination cell, then into 4" square containers, then into round quart, then into 1 gallon(several go into 2 gallon). but then i can't plant in ground and have to container. plus my summer time temps may not always allow me to keep the plants outside at night and they may have to come inside.

since i have so many plants, the smaller quart size containers fit into trays that securely hold 12 plants, making transporting the plants in and out a breeze. once the plants are in gallon containers they go into totes that hold 6 plants each - again for transporting.

you may have a completely different reasoning, hope you get it all figured out and good growing.

The zone you live in makes a huge difference. You're in Florida, while Burning Colon is in Canada. I've lived and grown plants in Texas, southern California, and Ohio. Texas and So. Cal. are similar, but Ohio is hugely different (more like Canada.) In Florida, it's probably warm enough for you right now (or will be very soon, compared to Ohio) to start putting your plants outside on a permanent basis. Here in Ohio, while we got up into the 70's today, that's not going to last, and it will hit 30's at night in the coming week. So for anyone with these kinds of conditions, multiple transplants may be in order, so that space inside the house used by the plants is minimized. In Florida, there's hardly a reason for multiple transplants. Like Cm said, less work to just move them to their final pots.

Back