• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gallon pots

mas_fuego said:

Amazon says,

• 5 gal. Nursery Grow Bags (25-Pack) by Viagrow
  • Usually ships in 1 to 2 months
  • FREE Shipping for Prime members once available
I was so close to hitting Buy Now

Huh, I have an email from Amazon saying they will be here by this Thursday. We shall see.

Malarky said:
hit up your local grocery's bakery...i've gotten 2gallon Frosting Buckets from them for free. A pizza buffet place gave me 2 gallon buckets too.
JimmyJohn's has 6gallon pickle buckets.
Even my local hospital's cafeteria will give me 5 gallon pickle buckets.

Yep, chatted with the bakery girl yesterday. They only have 5 gallon buckets, which I have literally dozens of (paint contractor--They come with the territory ;) ).

stettoman said:

Huh, I have an email from Amazon saying they will be here by this Thursday. We shall see.

So you're the one who bought them all.

I can get them at HD. I just have to order them online and pick them up at the store. Not as convenient but still decent. I think I will start with 2 gallon bags and see if I like them since I need a slew of them.

Rajun Gardener said:
Go to Walmart and buy the reusable grocery bags, they work just like the bags you ordered but they're about 3 gallons. Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5Scp3hQ8g&t=6s
I had 50 of those a few years ago and they worked great and were only .50 each if I remember correctly. I had to give them away after the first season as my wife hated having the blue wally world bags as part of the backyard landscape lol. 

SavinaRed said:
I had 50 of those a few years ago and they worked great and were only .50 each if I remember correctly. I had to give them away after the first season as my wife hated having the blue wally world bags as part of the backyard landscape lol. 
I think Whole Foods has green bags, they would look better.

mas_fuego said:

So you're the one who bought them all.

I can get them at HD. I just have to order them online and pick them up at the store. Not as convenient but still decent. I think I will start with 2 gallon bags and see if I like them since I need a slew of them.
Honest, wasn't me! I only ordered 25! Actually when I clicked on the BUY button I got a message that they would be 2 weeks late. I didn't care because I won't be using the 5 gallon bags til May, and I do have lots of 5 gallon buckets. But I got the email saying they'd be here Thursday.....

The ones I need NOW are the 1 gallon. If I can manage to keep them square--ish, they'll save me a lot of space.

mas_fuego said:
Amazon says,

• 5 gal. Nursery Grow Bags (25-Pack) by Viagrow
  • Usually ships in 1 to 2 months
  • FREE Shipping for Prime members once available
I was so close to hitting Buy Now

lolol sorry, you can find them on homedepot or ebay (different brands)

Wow, hay, I've never held 25 plastic gallon pots in one hand before....

I think I might like this.

16507994_246589429123683_623084173666536319_n.jpg

Rajun Gardener said:
Go to Walmart and buy the reusable grocery bags, they work just like the bags you ordered but they're about 3 gallons. 

Wallybags rock!  (At least for one season. After that they start to dry and tear...)

The ones around here are closer to 6 gallons. (Real gallons, none of this 'alternative facts' nursery measurement bullcrap.)

They work great for hot climate container growing since the cloth allows evaporative cooling of the soil.

Wally.jpg

Geonerd said:

Wallybags rock!  (At least for one season. After that they start to dry and tear...)

The ones around here are closer to 6 gallons. (Real gallons, none of this 'alternative facts' nursery measurement bullcrap.)

They work great for hot climate container growing since the cloth allows evaporative cooling of the soil.

Wally.jpg
Nice plant!!

Finally got around to trying these mini trash bags--No kidding.

First off, these aren't Viagrow, they are Hydrofarm, black inside and out. The bottoms aren't flat until you make them that way.

16508436_248835198899106_2335628476455063322_n.jpg

Note to self: In the future, if you DON'T want holes open on the sides, find some tape...

16472994_248835238899102_5309708190684875847_n.jpg

16602861_248835278899098_2396515208979922967_n.jpg

This plastic is exactly a Glad trash bag, only smaller. I'll guestimate the thickness at 2 mil, but don't quote me. Though initially tough, I'm not going to call them reusable until after I try to reuse them.

My first test subject, which I now am somewhat regretting, is my Growdown entry, a sole aji lemon out of 6 seeds planted. I put down a single layer of paper towel in the bottom, just as I do with all planters and pots, for hygiene purposes, then started to fill. Learning curve alert! This is definitely messier than a solid pot, lots of repositioning needed and the potential for disaster is definitely there, especially if this is being done other than outside or a room designated for a mess. My aji lemon, though small above ground, had developed an impressive amount of root, making Daddy proud. After folding the edge of the bag (for stability?), I tucked it's little rootlettes into the medium (coco coir wants to fall through these holes way too easily, hence the tape comment) and stopped for a second to take a shot.

16426051_248835325565760_1432392625431738261_n.jpg

The little guy got a bit leggy being so much farther away from the lights than his big brothers, so I went ahead and buried him to his little earlobes.

16649230_248835438899082_4281580747596335576_n.jpg

Now for the real test; To see if all this is going to be worth it space-wise. The size of standard round 1 gallon planters wastes a lot of valuable space, I'm hoping that instead of 4 cylindricals, I can fit 6 "square" bottomed poly bag pots in my trays.

....a-a-a-a-a-a-and.....

The crowd goes WILD!!!!!

16472905_248835468899079_935306926344629637_n.jpg

I'm not really sold yet, but I'm sure Hydrofarm and Viagrow and whoever else makes and sells these wouldn't be making and selling them unless there was a trusting market, and for $4 and change for 25 of them I'll give it a whirl.

...the 5 gallon bags are going to be interesting....And filled OUTSIDE.....

that is all

juanitos said:
just use poly bags they are cheap / consistent.

here's an old video review i did of them.

Hey juanito...were there holes in the bottom of those bags or just the sides... id prefer just the sides for a reservoir in the bottom but you had roots growing out underneath too so thats probably a no huh? thanks man

JUR-Z-Devil said:

Hey juanito...were there holes in the bottom of those bags or just the sides... id prefer just the sides for a reservoir in the bottom but you had roots growing out underneath too so thats probably a no huh? thanks man

bottom. if you need res put them in a tray or something, can just fill up the tray and leave it.

most people use them with drip systems..

stettoman said:
Honest, wasn't me! I only ordered 25! Actually when I clicked on the BUY button I got a message that they would be 2 weeks late. I didn't care because I won't be using the 5 gallon bags til May, and I do have lots of 5 gallon buckets. But I got the email saying they'd be here Thursday.....

The ones I need NOW are the 1 gallon. If I can manage to keep them square--ish, they'll save me a lot of space.

Almost to the day. The Viagrow 5 gal. polybags just walked in. These I like the gray-white exterior, the black ones will conduct more heart than I'm willing to have to monitor.

Back