Garden Salsa Pepper

I wanted to make a post for this pepper type as I have never heard anyone say anything about it.  I was given some seeds on here last year.  I knew nothing about it, and figured I would give it a shot.

They are great....  They are like Jalapenos on steroids....  The peppers resemble a banana pepper, but are thicker walled close to a jalapeno thickness.  The taste is also very similar to a jalapeno, and the red ones even more so.  They are excellent grilled or stuffed, and I would guess they would pickle well too as they are a bit thicker walled.

It really is one of the most productive, easiest to use, and bullet proof peppers I grew this year.  I would really recommend these to people starting out, and people that want something not too spicy.  

Everyone wants to try the hot peppers, but no one asks for them unless to give others to unknowingly to try, but people asked to have a couple of these after having them grilled or stuffed.  It really is one of the unsung heroes of my grow this year!

BadPants said:

I wanted to make a post for this pepper type as I have never heard anyone say anything about it.  I was given some seeds on here last year.  I knew nothing about it, and figured I would give it a shot.

They are great....  They are like Jalapenos on steroids....  The peppers resemble a banana pepper, but are thicker walled close to a jalapeno thickness.  The taste is also very similar to a jalapeno, and the red ones even more so.  They are excellent grilled or stuffed, and I would guess they would pickle well too as they are a bit thicker walled.

It really is one of the most productive, easiest to use, and bullet proof peppers I grew this year.  I would really recommend these to people starting out, and people that want something not too spicy.  

Everyone wants to try the hot peppers, but no one asks for them unless to give others to unknowingly to try, but people asked to have a couple of these after having them grilled or stuffed.  It really is one of the unsung heroes of my grow this year!

got any pics to show us? (curious of how they look)

Greetz,

Oli

I grew them last year and have a TON of seeds. I felt the flavor was closer to a bell with heat just shy of a jalapeño. I did a SASBE offer for them last year, and got a very small response. They did have a good variety of uses. They grew to 8-10 inches long and about 1 1/2-2 inches wide at the top. Very similar looking to a cowhorn.
Actually now that I think of it BadPants, did they come from me?

I might have.... I erased my records on seeds on accident.  If it was you thanks!

I found the heat very similar to jalapeno, not a hot pepper but one that almost everyone will eat and even when its on the hotter end of its range.  They red ones taste better imho, and I have some even getting some corking. 

I have used them in a ton of different ways and most have liked them.  Once again not the hot pepper that most here want, but I found it to be a great plant to grow and the peppers very versatile and will grow them again maybe in place of jalapenos or hot banana peppers.  

Back