• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Garlic in hot sauce

Garlic adds to teh taste too much and you ruin your sauce.
uh, whut?:rofl: I think this might be considered a "personal preference" kind of thing...I LOVE garlic. I love garlic in hot sauce and in salsa and in all kinds of food and in my tummy. :woohoo: That said, I agree that raw garlic cloves can be very strong and a dominant flavor - that's why I chose to use roasted garlic, as it tends to bring that sweetness out and mellows the flavor a bit. And I use absolutely heaps of it and haven't had anyone comment that it ruined my sauces. :cheers: Also look to major brands like Sriracha for another example - that's a sweet-hot garlic pepper sauce and they do quite well with it. But to the original question, "does it make sauce hotter" - the answer would be no. Garlic adds a flavor, but it is not "hot" like a pepper - it contains no capsaicin. So adding garlic is purely adding a "note" of flavor, not adding more heat. It will neither temper nor enhance the heat of your sauce, but one could argue that having more savory flavors in a sauce makes people want to go back and eat more despite the heat. Best way to confirm all this is to try it out! Good luck experimenting! :cheers:

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"does garlic change the heat in hot sauce?" [/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]If garlic is significant to the heat level of your hot sauce, you need to add[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)].[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]a lot more and/or different chilis. [/background]

:welcome: to THP and Greetings from the Metrolina - North Carolina !
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] “The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite……[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]" [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :flamethrower:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background]

maybe toexpand on previouscomments...
garlic is a pungent flavor similar toblack,pepper,ginger,horseradish... It wont add heat,but tthe pungency mightfeel,like anelevated heat. sorryfor typos... new techttoy....

Back