• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Garlic in your sauce?

How many of you add fresh garlic to your sauces, and how does it impact the flavor in your opinion? I have read a lot about the health benefits of garlic. My main focus for research was on removing metals from the body that are not good to have.  Allicin I believe is the compound that helps flush the heavy metals out. A lot of people really want to know about or purchase anything that is legitimately healthy or good for you...like capsaicin! 

Here is an example of one of many sites that discuss the benefits of garlic

http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/top-5-foods-that-detox-heavy-metals-and-toxins

SavinaRed said:
I have yet to make a sauce for me that doesn't include garlic. I grow my own garlic = 100 bulbs a year. Now I've have made some sauce without garlic for a family member who is allergic to garlic. 

Do you grow any particular kind? I have 32 bulbs each of 3 different garlics growing, to find the right one for my sauces. I have to say the Killarney Red has a very nice spice to it. My other two are Music and Inchelium.

SmokenFire said:
I grow Georgian Fire porcelain and use it almost exclusively in sauces.  Also use some Spanish Rioja in a few sauces too.   :)

I'll try some GF next year, for sure. The site I bought mine from, Peaceful Valley, says the Killarney compares with the Spanish Roja, with many liking the former. These are years of experimentation for me, so I will be checking out many garlics in times to come.

http://www.groworganic.com/non-gmo-and-organic-seeds/vegetable-seeds/seed-garlic.html

Myxlplyk said:

Do you grow any particular kind? I have 32 bulbs each of 3 different garlics growing, to find the right one for my sauces. I have to say the Killarney Red has a very nice spice to it. My other two are Music and Inchelium.
So far only the elephant garlic. Next year I will order some others early enough so I can try some other varieties.

I have a lot of 100% granulated garlic (Kirkland brand), which I bought for my BBQ rubs. Does anyone use this to replace fresh garlic in hot sauce recipes? Is there are significant difference in taste?

Just made a quick 750 ml of Garlic-Dill sauce:

image.jpg

Cooked red bell peppers, orange habaneros, and cane vinegar with salt added.
Took off the heat and blended in 5 large cloves of FRESH garlic (= 7-8 regular sized cloves), about
1 Tbsp of FRESH dill, and some xanthan gum. Bottled into one bottle :)

image.jpg

Tates hot, smells garlicy with pronounced dill aroma too.
Will taste again tomorrow.

portveyn said:
Just made a quick 750 ml of Garlic-Dill sauce:

image.jpg

Cooked red bell peppers, orange habaneros, and cane vinegar with salt added.
Took off the heat and blended in 5 large cloves of FRESH garlic (= 7-8 regular sized cloves), about
1 Tbsp of FRESH dill, and some xanthan gum. Bottled into one bottle :)

image.jpg

Tates hot, smells garlicy with pronounced dill aroma too.
Will taste again tomorrow.
Very nice portveyn looks like it has very nice color have done a sim sauce after like 10 days it totaly came together was fantastic everything sauce. love the blend. Are you just stick blending? Have you checked your ph? Just wondering what you had. :)
love the dill in there be great on fish.
Cheers

oldsalty said:
Very nice portveyn looks like it has very nice color have done a sim sauce after like 10 days it totaly came together was fantastic everything sauce. love the blend. Are you just stick blending? Have you checked your ph? Just wondering what you had. :)
love the dill in there be great on fish.
Cheers

Nothing checked :)
I have a pH meter, but it wasn't used for few years.
Gonna buy calibrating liquids I guess...

Omuro said:
I have a lot of 100% granulated garlic (Kirkland brand), which I bought for my BBQ rubs. Does anyone use this to replace fresh garlic in hot sauce recipes? Is there are significant difference in taste?

You can sub in granulated garlic if you desire.  I prefer fresh as it gets all blended and helps provide some body to a sauce, but if all you're looking for is some garlic taste using granulated is fine.  

Back