• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Gassy's 2010/2011 Pepper Growing Thread Thingy

IMG_5213.jpg
WTH? I just ate this thing, and heat-wise, it was like eating a normal sized one! :crazy:

Deseeded this Scorp last night to save seeds and you could actually see the oil on my fingers.

IMG_5470.jpg

It doesn't actually look as much on photo but this thing was literally dripping with oil! :hell:

open up this douglah pod that had a tail and it was just as hot as a regular sized one. thought i could get seeds from that tailed douglah, and found that it prematurely ripened and had immature seeds.

was thinking of getting nice tailed douglah pods from the next generation of that pod. too bad. =(

also had pretty good oil in there to coat the tips of my fingers.

Well, about a week ago at the spare of the moment, I decided to try my hand at some cross pollination. Nothing was planned and I only had a limited number of plants that I could utilize (i.e. that either had blossoms just about to open or were producing pollen).

While most failed, it appears that a Jimmy Nardello x Scotch Bonnet has taken:

IMG_5550.jpg

And possibly a Jalapeno x Trinidad Scorpion:

IMG_5553.jpg

I won't be holding my breath though as not only is winter rapidly approaching now but both the mother plants are in poor health (my luck, of course, that the only two that take are on unhealthy plants). :(

Hey Jonny,
when the colder weather starts just bring them inside they'll still keep maturing, be good to see those hybrids if they take...good luck

Hey Jonny,
when the colder weather starts just bring them inside they'll still keep maturing, be good to see those hybrids if they take...good luck
Thanks, Grant. Might be an idea as the min temps here are really dropping now. We are forecast for a few 9's later on in the week. :eek:

The poor health of the mother plants has me worried the most though. The Jalapeno is actually producing another three or four pods which are about 3-4cm, so I guess at least it is still working! I'll give it a few more days and if the crossed pod doesn't drop and keeps growing, I might snip the others so the plant can concentrate on the one I really want. :D

Back