• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gassy's 2010/2011 Pepper Growing Thread Thingy

shite hey - i feel for ya gas

i didnt get a pepper all last season due to the prob your having. Still dont know what caused it

So far this year, ive avoided it, thank god
I thought I had avoided it too until recently! :(

I do recall you having the same issues last season. The only advice I can give if you start noticing any of the same signs this season is to start treating for mites immediately.

While I am not 100% sure it is mites, I would still bet my bottom dollar that it is. FadeToBlack was having the exact same thing going on too and it sounds like things improved for him considerably after he started treating for mites.....

Yep, definitely mites :\

I went to inspect my plants today and found another three have fallen victim to the horrible, horrible little devils. The interesting thing was, I found webbing around the infected growth of the first plant, which my first instinct said spider mites, but after having a little poke around I discovered it belonged to a hungry little spider who I'm guessing had set up shop to catch himself some broad mitely goodness. After thanking the little guy for his help, I removed him and started with a soapy neem and Mavrik solution. I did all my plants thoroughly, quarantined the infested ones and will keep an eye on the situation. Tomorrow I will hit the infested plants with Rogor and if any more start showing signs, hit them with the Rogor as they come.

It breaks my heart because other than the mites my plants are as healthy as can be! In the last week they have taken off like a rocket!

spider mites love it hot and dry...if you don't get control of them early, you are fighting a losing battle...

My chillies are all inside still cos they're not quite ready but my tomatoes out in the garden are all starting to get curling leaves, and the new growth is all wrinkled in and spindly. I had noticed white butterfly moth things were hanging around and then little catepillars were all under the leaves eating away. I sprayed them with dipel for the catepillars and then a chilli and garlic and something else spray a week later for aphids but the curling leaves are still the same. The garden bed they're in has been put on a newly filled in area of yellow sand and there are no other plants around so I'm thinking there are no natural systems of predators in place, and thats why I'm getting every bug problem you can get!

I'm scared that when I have to put my chillies outside they will get the same mites you have going on. What have you found to do for those mites ?
Please keep posting about what you find out and what works because more than likely I will have do the same thing in a week.

edit: oops must have missed your post where you already answered my question :crazy:

My chillies are all inside still cos they're not quite ready but my tomatoes out in the garden are all starting to get curling leaves, and the new growth is all wrinkled in and spindly. I had noticed white butterfly moth things were hanging around and then little catepillars were all under the leaves eating away. I sprayed them with dipel for the catepillars and then a chilli and garlic and something else spray a week later for aphids but the curling leaves are still the same. The garden bed they're in has been put on a newly filled in area of yellow sand and there are no other plants around so I'm thinking there are no natural systems of predators in place, and thats why I'm getting every bug problem you can get!

I'm scared that when I have to put my chillies outside they will get the same mites you have going on. What have you found to do for those mites ?
Please keep posting about what you find out and what works because more than likely I will have do the same thing in a week.

edit: oops must have missed your post where you already answered my question :crazy:
A picture is worth a thousand words.... ;)

If possible, perhaps get some pics up to help others diagnose the problem - leaf curling is not always associated with pests. With my tomatoes, I always seem to get a little curling myself but it always seems to come and go. Although, recently I did have a little issue with some kind of bacterial wilt thing happening. All I did there was remove the infected leaves and sprayed the plant with a copper fungicide. So far, so good......

As far as treatments for most things go, it all depends on whether you want to keep it natural or not. For mites example, I have found soapy water and/or neem can be effective but it requires far more effort than chemical solutions and you must be extremely vigilant and extremely thorough. I am opting for a systemic chemical solution (Rogor) this year simply because I am growing most of my plants at an alternate location half an hour drive away and won't be able to check my plants daily and keep an eye on things. Even then, I will only be using it on the plants that show signs of mites.

Yeah, pests suck ass! Where I am living, pests far outweigh predators (one of the reasons I am growing at an alternate location!). All I can say is, at the first sign of anything, get it sorted! If in doubt of the problem, get pics up and hopefully someone else may be able to offer a solution.

Good luck! :)

I have already started a thread on this in the growing- other forum but I just posted a heap of pictures there.

Please go here
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18672-tomato-leaves-curling/page__gopid__397345#entry397345
and have a look.

Well, it's been a week since I Rogored and so far so good.... the evil stopped spreading from word go and now I got new undamaged growth coming through. :D

Absolutely no doubt now that mites were the culprit.

However, even though it appears to have done the job, I'm not going to go a second precautionary Rogoring but instead I will give 'em all a thorough neeming and hope for the best. Aside from being pissed off that I had to resort to a chemical solution in the first place, that stuff stinks like sh*t! It's a week later and the smell still hangs around! (Glad I didn't go Malathon.... I've been told that stuff is even worse). And not to mention I'm paranoid now to touch my pots with bare hands even though I rinsed the sides all off and can't wait till I water them next and gonna be even more paranoid about the water that comes out the bottom! hahaha

Hello everyone, im only new to growing chillis and only just joined this site, but to stop things like mites i have been collecting lady bugs
and putting them all over my roses and tomatoe plants and i have noticed that many of them are now crawling all over my chilli plants also .
Lady bugs love to eat as many aphids as they can and they seem to love mites also, you can also buy lady bugs online.

I had figured out that my curling leaves problems were due to over nitrogen fertilizing but now this brown stuff is spreading on the leaves like a fungus or mites. I'm going to have to do something about it or my plants will wither and die. I'll take a photo if I can.

Would love to set the ladybugs loose on my plants but I'm not sure that's the problem that needs fixing. I have seen some ladybugs around that area so if there was a ready feast they'd be getting into it.

Hi toddrb40 :welcome: fellow Perthling

Poddage!

Giant Jalapeno:
IMG_3985.jpg

Odd looking Giant Jap:
IMG_3984.jpg

Normal Jalapeno:
IMG_3991.jpg

Kung Pao:
IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

Buds started appearing a few weeks ago which I started pinching but the little buggers would be back a couple days later.... so I thought to hell with it, let 'em do their thing! As most of my plants are still a little small, there's not going to be any huge harvests this year, but eh, I'll still end up with more than last season.

Thanks guys! :D

I'm cheerin' that I'm seeing any pods at all this season.... last one was a complete and utter FAIL (thanks to pepper hungry possums and mites).

Things are coming along nicely enough....

Japs coming along nicely
IMG_4071.jpg

Giant Japs
IMG_4073.jpg

Sweet Choc
IMG_4069.jpg

Purple Beauty (nice to see another colour in the garden other than green!)
IMG_4078.jpg

So far most productive and quickest to pod.... Kung Pao
IMG_4081.jpg

No superhots yet :( but got a Bih and Yellow 7 Pod flowering! :D

Had I kept pinching and let the Kung Pao grow more, I reckon it would have ended up absolutely LOADED with pods!

Hey Gas,
Wish I could have remembered the ROGOR!! Was standing in Bunnings today thinkin "Hmmmmmm, ROGOR just don't sound right" so I bought some other CRAP, nah I haven't even tried it yet so I can't bag it. But had I known I was lookin at the right stuff I'd a snapped that sh!t up! I have a miassive white fly problem at the moment!! But the SH!TE I bought says it'll smash 'm so here's to hopin!

:cheers:

Jas

Yay! More pods....

Aji Lemon:
IMG_4120.jpg

Hot Summer:
IMG_4105.jpg

Ironically, my Hot Summer plants don't seem to be responding well to a hot summer at all!

Back