Gday from mudsta South Oz

Hi fellow chilli heads! :P

Well I figured I had best introduce myself... I've been reading this forum like mad for well over 18 months now.
Such a fantastic resource for my chilli growing to date!
I’m a pro brewer (beer) and live in regional South Australia (S35' Latitude). I have had a mad passion for all things chilli for a few years now...

It's now winter here so my first growing season has now slowed to hibernation.
Summer just gone was my first chilli growing attempt and it panned out well with a large amount of experience gained.
I bought 2 x Serrano seedlings from my local nursery; they did ok but found the heat level was a little disappointing.
I also bought a packet of Yates Burke's backyard Thai chilli seeds and germinated 6 successfully and they were excellent.
Great yields and early harvest times. I'm still picking those little gems.

I took a punt and bought Trinidad Scop and Bhut Jolokia seeds from THSC but really struggled to germinate them. 1 Bhut kicked off and survived. That was a headache all season with pretty much no yields.

During my first grow season combined with soaking up all the info on this forum I learned a little about...

Seed germination
Calcium deficiency
Controlling aphids, millipedes and snails
Plant stressing to increase pod heat
Flower drop causes
Lack of potassium

Thanks to you all for posting the info on this forum, without it I would be far less educated in chilli school :dance:
From here I'm looking to network with other chilli growers specifically in South Australia to find varieties suited to our climate.
Cheers and beers,

Mudsta

P.S. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how

:welcome:Greetings from the Piedmont of North Carolina !
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] “The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite……[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]" [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :flamethrower:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background]

Thanks for the :welcome:

I have spent the afternoon trying to figure out how to post a photo... Heres my first beautys

:welcome: from Brissy.

Nice work! Those Burkey ones look like they do alright. Nice and compact but productive as! Early harvest sounds good too. How do they do for taste? I'm thinking about giving 'em a burl now myself...

Cheers for all the welcomes! :P

:welcome: from Brissy.

Nice work! Those Burkey ones look like they do alright. Nice and compact but productive as! Early harvest sounds good too. How do they do for taste? I'm thinking about giving 'em a burl now myself...

Yes the Burke's Thai plants were an excellent all rounder! They harvest early (& still picking them now), yield very very well and look colourful.
The ones at the back grew a bit taller in a larger pot and they all seem to be overwintering well.
I had a calcium deficiency early on with them and this caused stunted plants similar to tipping/topping.
One downside is they were fairly prone to pod sunscald....

Taste is clean, not vegetal, not really fruity or sweet, heat level I would say is around 5/10.
Largest pod sizes were around 5cm long x 3cm wide
For the couple of $ I paid for the seeds I was extremely happy with the results.

Cheers,

Mudsta

Back