• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

General Chicken Thread - Post your pics and set ups here...

It's that time of year again..... :drunk: ...

,,,for chicklets, I mean!

It looks like the creamy one has a shadow, eh?

Ps...chicklets is our word for 'em! :whistle:

wow, a chicken thread...

well... i breed exhibition/show quality chickens... although, i just lost a bunch due to some sick chicks i got in a trade... went from 100+ birds to about... 18 now... yeah, it was a massacre... but i'm slowly rebuilding with even better stock...

here's what i lost... :(

cowboy... (serama)
Photo0108_1.jpg

Photo0109_1.jpg

ducky... (serama)
Photo0107_1.jpg

angel and his hens... (OEGB) i won 1st place in his class in an ABP show in PA...
Photo0091.jpg

Photo0090.jpg

Photo0067.jpg

i lost flower's two hens... (OEGB) they were giving me porcelain offspring as well... :(
Photo0047.jpg

Photo0048.jpg

and many more....

these are random pics of what i have left... mostly serama and giant cochins...

Photo0022-1.jpg

Photo0021-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gumbii/chickens/Photo0136_1.jpg
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gumbii/chickens/Photo0079_1.jpg
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gumbii/chickens/Photo0098.jpg

took out img tag for too many pics...

The city of calgary recently turned down a proposal to allow city residents to raise up to 6 chickens for egg purposes in the city limits. there was a big battle but our local alderman choose to vote against the bid. personally, I was looking forward to positive vote and would consider chickens for egg laying purposes.

I grew up on a farm and one of my jobs was to gather the eggs and I often discuss this with my children on how I had to go into the pen and put my hand under the hen and feel for the eggs. My kids love the story and really would like the same chance as I did, collecting eggs. I tease my wife all the time about getting chickens, she's a city gal and has only seen chickens, pigs and cows in books - she was glad about the vote. She has her dog, I want my chickens(I have my finches but its just not the same). I bet if I brought home chickens she would take a liking and Sparky is a Sheltie/Eskimo cross that would love to herd them.

This fall our entire city council is up for reelection including a new mayor, if they want my vote, one of them has better support chickens in the city.
Wow a chicken post , i have raised chooks most of my life except the last 5 years because i sold my house and im renting atm, mate chickens can become the best of friends there simply the best pets, i mainly bred pure breed show birds but the last few years i had some of the crosses that are bred for laying and they were the best i had they just never stoped laying eggs.our council allowd the keeping of chickens with many rules , all pens must be so far from the boundry fence and must be cement floors and no roosters, good luck with your council , your kids will love them as pets.

Wow a chicken post , i have raised chooks most of my life except the last 5 years because i sold my house and im renting atm, mate chickens can become the best of friends there simply the best pets, i mainly bred pure breed show birds but the last few years i had some of the crosses that are bred for laying and they were the best i had they just never stoped laying eggs.our council allowd the keeping of chickens with many rules , all pens must be so far from the boundry fence and must be cement floors and no roosters, good luck with your council , your kids will love them as pets.

you're lucky... i can't have any roosters and only two hens... that's it... i can't even have quails... i hate living in the city... but i do have over 150 chickens and more than half are roosters during the growing season...

Damn you guys! :banghead:

Now I want chickens! :rofl:

GET SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

@ gumbii

Those were beautiful animals! My condolences...

Lousy part is we get attached to them, unlike our chili plants, so their loss is harsh!

@ gumbii

Those were beautiful animals! My condolences...

Lousy part is we get attached to them, unlike our chili plants, so their loss is harsh!

thanks...

i'm gonna be honest here and sound like a total jack arse... but i'm a breeder... i do not get attached to my birds or pets that i breed... i just hate losing money... i'm also a heavy culler... especially since i breed for show...

let me put it this way... if i hatch 100 chicks in my incubator... i will only end up with 10-12 or so that i'm going to put into my programs, sell or show...

nice easter eggers...

did you keep that buff columbian rooster...?

i had some olive eggers before the massacre... .now my only egg layers are giant blue cochins and a EE roo...

Nope, trade that damn siren (the buff roaster) for 2 maran that will soo start to lay extra-reddish (read brown ) soon.
from what the owner of the maran said... the eggs should be in the 6 or 7 on the egg color scale

i need some hard chiken here that can go outside on days like today (-16C which is very very cold!)

Next variety i will put in my coop will be the TRUE chanteclerc (white) breeded by a father not too far from here in early 1900
the race is in danger so if i can spare some life and help have more of those i would be greatly proud to preserve a race!

a lot of people develop their own olive egger that way... but they keep an EE rooster... they say the rooster will make the eggs darker green...

i'm looking for shamo hens right now... they lay HUGE eggs... xtra large size... them and i heard minorcas do too... or was it australope...?

wow, a chicken thread...

well... i breed exhibition/show quality chickens... although, i just lost a bunch due to some sick chicks i got in a trade... went from 100+ birds to about... 18 now... yeah, it was a massacre... but i'm slowly rebuilding with even better stock...

here's what i lost... :(

cowboy... (serama)
Photo0108_1.jpg

Photo0109_1.jpg

ducky... (serama)
Photo0107_1.jpg

angel and his hens... (OEGB) i won 1st place in his class in an ABP show in PA...
Photo0091.jpg

Photo0090.jpg

Photo0067.jpg

i lost flower's two hens... (OEGB) they were giving me porcelain offspring as well... :(
Photo0047.jpg

Photo0048.jpg

and many more....

these are random pics of what i have left... mostly serama and giant cochins...

Photo0022-1.jpg

Photo0021-1.jpg

nice chickes you got there. :D

When you get to the stage of having to feed your chickens with 60kg of feed a week you tend to forget there names & how many you have.

Then there's 60 or 70 ducks on top of that & half a dozen geese plus pet peacocks as well.

We have chickens dying of old age daily, but then we pick up newborn chicks on a daily basis as well, i had a mate who had 20,000+ chickens?? he used to ask me how many yolks i would like (double, triples or quads) and not just one egg a whole tray of quad yolker`s on a weekly basis.

We have several roosters & one in particular called Glen & here he is, his spurs on his legs are an inch long & it forces him to walk like John Wayne.

Glenn.jpg

Glenn is afraid of nothing, he stands taller than our Border Collie cattle dogs & will often chase them.

And there`s no way you can touch him or even dare grab his tail feathers.

Mezo.

I wonder if its possible to trade baby chicks?

we get some from time to time... in face we have 5 buff orphingtons, and 5 aerocauna's (sp?)...

Back