• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds General Germination Thread?

Not sure if this is the right place, but I thought between this, GLOGS, and hot pepper talk, this seemed the most apropriate. I also used the search bar and couldn't find anything quite like this. So, with all those warning posted, sorry if I still broke a rule somewhere. That being said....

I was wondering if we could get a general germination FAQ thread going. As a new pepper grower this has presented the largest hurdle for me to jump over, especially with superhots. I have a lot of questions and I figured other noobs probably would too so to start off the thread.

1. To soak or not to soak? That is the question. I know a lot of people start their seeds off directly in soil while it seems the majority of you here soak your seeds at least for a few hours or use a paper towel method. I've also been told to soak in light chamomile tea or H202 solutions. If you soak do you use a solution and for how long? Also, how hot is the water you use?

2. Soil vs. Jiffie Peat Pellet.

3. Are heat mats necessary for superhots? I've heard no but I'm going on a month now with no germination for bhuts and scorpions.

much thanks,

-loafers

Yes I agree. It would be a great help to have a germination thread to refer to.

Several times this year I have transplanted babies and then reused the starting tray and found a old planted seed germinating later. That makes for unknow pepper plants when one does not label everything and maintain a full record like me.

I have several unkown pepper plants which I may be able ID or maybe not. But a good example of germination times for different planting methods would have certainly helped.

Germination is pretty simple...or it should be...the most important thing is to have good viable seed and don't fly blind when buying them either...buy from a reputable source, certainly not Ebay or Amazon...there are several members here that provide excellent seed...if your domestic capsicum seeds take more than 10-14 days to germinate, you simply are doing something wrong...germination takes two things...heat and moisture...

heat - 80-86F constant...there are many ways to get this...heat mats, germination chambers, on top of the hot water heater, etc....

moisture - damp but not wet...

light - none needed until the seeds sprout then pour the light to them...

that's it....

lot's of ways to achieve the above three most of which come from experience of starting seeds...

germination media - your choice...soil-less mix, peat pellets, baggie method...I will say that you need a medium that is very lightweight and will allow excellent root growth...

if you want to get into the deep details, that's another story...everyone has their own way of doing things...

to answer your specific questions...

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1. To soak or not to soak? That is the question. I know a lot of people start their seeds off directly in soil while it seems the majority of you here soak your seeds at least for a few hours or use a paper towel method. I've also been told to soak in light chamomile tea or H202 solutions. If you soak do you use a solution and for how long? Also, how hot is the water you use?[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I have never soaked seeds and get pretty dang good germination rates...IMO if you have to soak your seeds, your seed stock isn't very good[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]2. Soil vs. Jiffie Peat Pellet.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]by soil, I suppose you are talking soil-less starting media such as hoffmans, jiffy mix, or something akin to these...do not use regular dirt to start seeds in...I personally dislike jiffy peat pellets because they are very hard to control moisture level...[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]3. Are heat mats necessary for superhots? I've heard no but I'm going on a month now with no germination for bhuts and scorpions.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]makes no difference what you use for heat, but a constant temp of 80-86F is optimum[/background]

Bearing what Alabama Jack says in mind as to temperatures, here is the fool-resistant method:

Wash your hands and tools
Get a zip-lock bag and a paper towel:

IMG_8543.jpg

Spread seeds on paper towel and fold it in half

IMG_8544.jpg

Wet the paper towel .....not soppy, just wet, insert in the bag, close the bag and wait

IMG_8545.jpg

Can the seeds get too hot? For example. Using a kiddie greenhouse in direct sunlight the temps are reaching over 100f. Is this cooking the seeds?

Read what Alabama Jack said about temperature.

If you don't want the information offered, use the search function: http://thehotpepper....h&fromMainBar=1

Lots of stuff there and you're asking the same questions. Believe me, your situation is not unique.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm new here and suck at using the search bar in general. I have been trying though. I just thought it would be helpful for a lot of other noobs as germination seems like the hardest part of the process for many of us. Thanks to everyone else who has posted! Your info has been really helpful!

I don't think anyone is offended, least of all me.

It is just pretty boring and repetitive to see the exact same question asked over and over by posters who are sure their question is unique.

You will have to expend some effort to find stuff out....learn to use the search function. I simply typed in your question "germination temperature".

A month is too long for Bhuts. I don't want to be depressing but it may be too late. You might want to see if you can buy plants.
For the future find a place close to the temps AJ said. Water heater closet, top of fridge, attic, top of CPU, between virgin's thighs.

I take styrofoam cups write the names of the peppers on them and then poke the pencil all the way through the bottom of the cup. I poke the low sides also. I then fill the cups with pro-mix bx (though any medium will work) Most peat based mediums will not break down surface tension immediately so you can pour water on them and they will still be essentially dry. So I set the cups in shallow water for a few hours.

Now I pour a thin layer of vermiculite. Shake and spray with peroxide untill the vermiculite is completely wet. Place seed on vermiculite and cover with another layer of vermiculite and spray with peroxide again. Snack size ziplock bags fit around the cups nicely. I then put on lizard heating mats with a meat thermometer in one of them.

After a week I will take the bags off to let them air out and then spray with peroxide. After two weeks if I have any that have not popped I take the bags off and mist when needed.

When a few from a particular strain pop I will move all of that strain under lights. Once the seeds have sprouted I mostly bottom water. Despite what you hear don't touch the seed shell (helmet). If you don't believe me do it half one way and half the other and tell me the results.

My method (which I got from an Aussie site) is less work in the long run. The plants stay in one container until they get planted out. The other benefit is that there is more room for error. I choose medium to large size cups so I don't have to water everyday and the plants are less likely to get too wet or too dry. Fluctuations in temperature are attenuated with large cups. Vermiculite is likely to be sterile and I don't ask myself did I go too deep? not deep enough? It is very forgiving.

The biggest drawback I think is space. If you are starting 100+ plants, my method won't work for you. Some people like to check their sprouts and see what is going on you can't do that with my method.

Use the paper towel method, damp in bag and leave. It's easy and as long as the seeds are fine everything will work. When Ive taken seeds out of my ghosts dried them and bagged them they are popping in about 1 week.
In the jiffy pod I've cooked them, drowned them, and forgotten to water them. Go the easy way!

I have always soaked my seeds overnight in warm water to help speed germination.
I then put them in my propagator and 95% of every pepper seed I have done this with has germinated within 6-7 days.
Some people use a weak mixture of bleach and water and soak them for just a few seconds and then rinse them off good under water with the seeds in a fine mesh strainer.
The bleach weakens the outer shell but I don't think it's necessary for pepper seeds as they are not that hard on the outside.
I have not tried this yet but it was suggested to me by a man I work with who has a PhD in horticulture specializing in seeds.

I have grown out 15-20 Thousand peppers on my eight (8) acres and will be glad to help anyone get through this hurdle. I always soak my seeds. Why not? If you put them directly in a moist medium they eventually have to absorb water in order to germinate. All you are doing is helping them along on this first necessary step. Now try this formula. 1-Cup of warm water. (2) Tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide. (1) Teaspoon of Epsom Salts and (1/4) Teaspoon of Miracle Gro. Mix it up good. Get a small plastic cup for every breed of seed you need to pre-soak. Numerically number your seed cups and keep a Journal indicating what breed is in what numbered cup. Soak your seeds for a minimum of 8 hours and not to exceed 24 hours in this solution. I get a germination rate of 96-98% EVERY TIME. Try it out. as far as the very stubborn Bhuts or slow germinating seeds go try this. Take a pack of matches and tear off the inside matches. All you want is the cover and the abrasive sandpaper strip. Take your stubborn Bhuts and lightly, don't grind, lightly with the tip of your finger glide each Bhut seed across the abrasive sandpaper. Add the seed to the above solution ---- No more problems with stubborn seeds --- works every time!!!!!

Cheers for that, the mixture seems interesting. Where did you come up with that. Going to give it a go, will let u know how I go!

Now try this formula. 1-Cup of warm water. (2) Tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide. (1) Teaspoon of Epsom Salts and (1/4) Teaspoon of Miracle Gro.

I never understood why Miracle Grow was advised in a seed soaking solution. A seed needs only moisture and heat to germinate right?
Does the MG somehow soften the seed's outer shell?

I just tried Dr. Cres's formula, I soaked them in warm water on a heating pad for 16hrs, I just planted the seeds, I will follow up on the progress. I've had 0 success so far w/ any seeds germinating this year in 2 months so far, thou this is my 1st yr starting peppers from seed.

Been working on it for years Fatty. Let me know how it works for you.
THX, I'm gonna give it a try, anything will be better than what I've been doing so far

I never understood why Miracle Grow was advised in a seed soaking solution. A seed needs only moisture and heat to germinate right?
Does the MG somehow soften the seed's outer shell?

Mike where I originally got the idea eludes me I've been growing for a long time. My bedroom looks like a Science Lab!!!!! I can only theorize that the Miracle Gro, on a minute level, absorbs the Miracle Gro and it gives it that extra little kick it needs. All I know is I have really good success with it. Try it. Everyone has something that works. I also have another system I'm gonna post when I have time. Good luck!!!

I just tried Dr. Cres's formula, I soaked them in warm water on a heating pad for 16hrs, I just planted the seeds, I will follow up on the progress. I've had 0 success so far w/ any seeds germinating this year in 2 months so far, thou this is my 1st yr starting peppers from seed.

THX, I'm gonna give it a try, anything will be better than what I've been doing so far
Good luck Pogey. If you have good seed you will be pleasantly surprised. Basically you cover everything a seed needs to start. Warmth, air, and nourishment. Once they pop get them under a light no more than 3 inches above them.

Try it out. as far as the very stubborn Bhuts or slow germinating seeds go try this. Take a pack of matches and tear off the inside matches. All you want is the cover and the abrasive sandpaper strip. Take your stubborn Bhuts and lightly, don't grind, lightly with the tip of your finger glide each Bhut seed across the abrasive sandpaper. Add the seed to the above solution ---- No more problems with stubborn seeds --- works every time!!!!!

Dr Cres,

Thanks for your soaking solution recipe and the extra trick with the match box for stubborn seeds. :P

Now...I have a couple of questions for you...

1. How many times should the seed be rubbed against the match strip? Just once??

2. Would there be a similar grit equivalent on sandpaper? say 360, 420, 600 grit etc?

Cheers,
Mudsta

Great thread, especially for noobs like me. My problem has been hull-bound sprouts, but apparently that is from not planting them deep enough (search function FTW!).

I used a heated Jiffy mini-greenhouse with Jiffy organic seed sprouting mix instead of the peat pucks. Great germination on my Butch T seeds (12/15), fair germination on my Bhut seeds (6/15), and marginal germination on my Douglah seeds (3/15). This was after two weeks. These were all purchased dried seeds. They were soaked overnight, the mix was sterilized with boiling water, and it was spritzed daily with a mix of 1/4 cup H2O2 and 1 cup brewed chamomille tea in a quart of water.

I also recently started some seeds from fresh pods: brain strain and moruga. The brains sprouted really fast, like 70% germination in three days! The morugas have been a bit slower, but are picking up. They are about 60% at six days.

I just got some barrackpore seeds (dried) and am trying some the way I have done it above and and trying a couple of germination experiments with the others.

There are a lot of seeds that I started, but I really just want one or two good plants of each, so at this point its survival of the fittest! The rest will be given away if decent or tossed if it seems they have no hope.

Back