• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients general hydro nutes dosage

Hi,

I live somewhere in Europe, so what I buy is from GHE (made in France, not the USA), but the labels show the same content for each of the Flora 3-part series (what I use at the moment).

The dilemma I have is that the dosage printed on my label (the GHE stuff) is much lower than the general hydroponics nutrient calculator states.

For example, on the GHE label, for vegging (not seedlings), I have a dose of 15-10-5 ml of G-M-B (Grow, Micro, Bloom) for a 10l reservoir. On the calculator, for the same reservoir size and plant stage I have, I get 19.8-13.2-6.6 for RTW (run to waste) and 33.0-19.8-6.6 R (recirculating). In bloom fase, the difference is even more, with GHE giving 5-10-15 and genhydro.com 6.6-13.2-19.8 RTW and 13.2-26.4-39.6 R. The dosages above were calculated for a Normal feeding schedule, you can imagine that with the aggressive the difference is staggering.

Now, my question is not which one is right, as I know most recomend to judge for your own, based on plant needs and how it responds to feeding, but a good starting point is better than none at all (don't even want to think about the bad one). At the moment I am feeding the plant with 4/5 of the recomended vegging GHE dose, as it is pretty young and want to be on the safe side. I don't have a PPM meter at the moment and have no ideea what kind of tap water I have. RO water is NOT available where I live.

Advices?

Thanks!

http://www.genhydro.com/calculator/index.html
GHE label:
ghe-ripen_282_3_.jpg

Changed the water in my DWC today. This time I went the full GHE veg dosage (15-10-5) to see how it goes. I am always using 10.5l of water for the 10l dosage just to be sure I have a small head-room for not burning the plant (only have one reaper). I don't have calmag, but I usually suplement with epsom salt.

Surprisingly, the ph was very stable this time. It was just under 6.0 for the old water. Last couple of times I used some root juice from bio-bizz and the ph was way off when changing the old water (first time much higher, around 8, and last time around 4.5). Root juice is supposed to be ok with hydro (not like most bio stuff). Also, with root juice, the water was kind of brownish and all the air pipes and the temp probe had this brown residue on them. This time, the water was clean, but the brown residue was still there (maybe not as much, but I could be wrong).

I clean everything with plain water at water changes, except for the net pot (which is also the lid) and the hydroton + plant itself. I didn't use H2O2 until now.

That is odd, for me that chart is hard to understand. I'm using the General Hydroponics Flora in my DWC systems. This is my feeding rate if it helps.

FloraGro 10ml per/gallon   FloraMicro 10ml per/gallon   FloraBloom 5ml per/gallon

I am using distilled water in my system though, I would suggest using it in yours if you can find it where you live. So far at that feeding rate this bhut is growing very well and growing very fast. I do use a couple other nutrients though. 

10011525_10202193402851163_1000083057_n.jpg

Daniel92 said:
That is odd, for me that chart is hard to understand. I'm using the General Hydroponics Flora in my DWC systems. This is my feeding rate if it helps.

FloraGro 10ml per/gallon   FloraMicro 10ml per/gallon   FloraBloom 5ml per/gallon

I am using distilled water in my system though, I would suggest using it in yours if you can find it where you live. So far at that feeding rate this bhut is growing very well and growing very fast. I do use a couple other nutrients though. 

10011525_10202193402851163_1000083057_n.jpg

Thanks for the input. Your 10-10-5ml/gal would be 26.4-26.4-13.2ml/10l. So a bit more than the GHE chart.

What other nutrients do you use?

Right now I'm using general hydroponics floralicious plus and rapid start. I have not seen a great difference using rapid start with my plants, however floralicious plus seems to make big difference in growth. I also use calmag and epson salt.  

RapidStart is a watered down Roots Excelerator (H&G), which is a watered down old style Roots Excel. Quite common to use it at double dosage.

I used 1-1-1 tsp/G for the first 90 days in a Powergrower with ~5 hrs of sun light.

As soon as it branched and started to flower some of the leaves turned yellow and the main trunk leaves started popping off.

I called GH and the tech told me that 1-1-1 was too lean and that the bottle label is wrong.

He said use 0.5-1.5-2.0 tsp/G (G-M-B) which should be around 1,000-1,200 ppm + the water and to change it once a week.

Bought a ppm meter and going to watch it and change at 900 or week depending on how the plant looks.

Last w/e.
IMG_20140328_100111_060.jpg

I did a nute change today and the guy at the store told me to go 1/4 strength on seedlings. My bhut has 4 sets of leaves which I guess is still a seedling. My totals were 1tsp M 1 3/4 tsp G 1 tsp B for a total 275 ppm at a ph 5.6 in 3 gallons of water. Do yall think that's a little low or should I leave it?

1/4 strength is the best place to start, many nutrient formulas on bottles will kill even established plants at full strength.

Are you growing in soil? Might want to bump the pH a bit, bottled feed is generally acidic.

Dreamweaver, this may help. He kind of let the cat out of the bag by dropping the Grow.

This is the chart he said to use.

See the ** note...which i think is more applicable to chiles and hence his recommendation. 

Again this is for recirc or drip...not flood.

Nutechart.jpg

Get a meter to measure nutrient concentration....ppm or other. 

Do not use recommended concentrations from mfg.......remember what they are selling. I use fro 0.25 to 0.50 recommended dosage.

willard3 said:
Get a meter to measure nutrient concentration....ppm or other. 

Do not use recommended concentrations from mfg.......remember what they are selling. I use fro 0.25 to 0.50 recommended dosage.

+1 on this. I use 50% and have for the last two years. No issues, no nute burn and my plants speak for themselves.

Daniel92 said:
 I also use calmag and epson salt.  

I see this comment often on THP. Why? Cal-mag has all the magnesium you would want.

Dreamweaver said:

So your solution is 500-600 ppm + the water?

Close, but I'm a little higher since I use Cal-mag as well for the plants that are fruiting. I stay under 800+ water.

Thanks for all the replies!

I kept using the ratios stated on my label and everything is fine right now (the GHE ratios) for the veg. state. The only problem is the ph for the old reservoir water is still very low (under 5) when changing the water (nothing to do with the ratios, just an observation).

I understand everyone keeps using lower than label nutes ratios for their grows. Only thing is my initial question remains unanswered... what dosage should I take into account? The GHE dosage is 75% of the "run to waste" GH and 38% of the "reccirculating" GH. I am still strugling to find out what they recommend for users here...

Also, kind of offtopic, does anyone know where I could get more info on pros and cons about using 1, 2  and 3 part nutrient solutions?

Cheers!

Back