• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Genetikx 2018

First time doing a glog but have followed others for years now. I don't expect monster 5' plants being just north of Chicago but I do expect to have a good time in the dirt and to neglect pulling weeds a time or twelve. The goal is grow a ton of peppers for sauce and maybe even get into powders this year.

We're currently rocking a 4' 4 tube hydrofarm T5, which I think is an awesome fluorescent. In the past I've supplemented with regular shop lights in the seedling stage and for overflow but might get another proper T5 soon. First time growing in this new house so hopeful to avoid mites, aphids, and the like. I'll end up throwing some plants in the backyard and then also claim a spot at the community garden.

Best of luck to all the awesome grows here at THP. Hope everyone has a great 2018.

Here's the grow list, subject to change just a little bit

Aji Amarillo
Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Andy's Chocolate Reaper Scorpion (WHP)
Bahamian Goat (AJDrew)
Bahamian Goat (Fiogga)
Bahamian Goat (WM)
Bih Jolokia X Sugar Rush Peach (WHP)
Blue Christmas (D3)
BOC
BOC X Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Brain Strain Yellow (one from my seed stock, one for grow down)
D3 Goat Giant
D3 Goat Yellow #4
El Scorponero #6 (D3)
EOB Mustard (I have just one seed lol, fingers crossed)
Fatalii White (WHP)
Flexosoum (Romy)
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach (AJDrew)
Habanero Peach (Paphlady)
Habanero Purple (WHP)
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno Zapotec
OBEAH (Bumpy Lobed)
Omni Bonnet (D3)
PDN X Bonda Ma Jacques (PaulG)
Peach Ghost
Peach Ghost SS
Scotch Bonnet Allen Boatman (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet Belize
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Scotch Bonnet MOA (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (mpicante)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (Trident)
Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Scotch Brain
Scotch Brain Long X Yellow BBG7 (Trident)

PaulG said:
Yeah, what they said.  Great light set-up, looks like
serious illumination. I hope the F6 cross works for
you, Ryan. Mine took from 10-16 days to show hooks
in Jiffy Pellets. Not the best germ rates either. Dang.

Have a great season, friend   :cheers:
Thanks for stopping in Paul, here's to a great year for you too!

I did see 3 pdn x bonda f6 white seeds had tiny tap roots today. Although I'd like them to get cotys in the baggie, they've been in that baggie for 18 days, so I moved em to dirt. I'm happy to get just one plant of it, such a beautiful specimen top to bottom.

Genetikx said:
Thanks for stopping in Paul, here's to a great year for you too! Thanks, my friend!

I did see 3 pdn x bonda f6 white seeds had tiny tap roots today. Although I'd like them to get cotys in the baggie, they've been in that baggie for 18 days, so I moved em to dirt. I'm happy to get just one plant of it, such a beautiful specimen top to bottom.
Alright, sounds like progress, Ryan!
Can't wait to see how they do for you.

How many F6 seeds did you sow?

PaulG said:
Alright, sounds like progress, Ryan!
Can't wait to see how they do for you.

How many F6 seeds did you sow?
All of the white ones only, maybe 12? I may have misinterpreted but I thought Tristan said those were closest to his intention when he started the cross. If I'm crazy for not growing the purple as well, please yell at me!

Genetikx said:
All of the white ones only, maybe 12? So only 25%?    :mope:    'Bout the same as my white pod seeds.   I may have misinterpreted but I thought Tristan said those were closest to his intention when he started the cross. You are correct there - we're still looking for the 'yellow' pod, hence the F3 grow. If I'm crazy for not growing the purple as well, please yell at me!
Not at all, Ryan.  The purples were late in the season, waiting
until last moment to  pick the pods.  I was interested to see
how viable such seeds would turn out.  The purple pods were
all awesome with great shape and size , so anything from those
seeds could be good, for future reference. In general, I think you
are def better off with the white pod seed if you are only growing
one. Otherwise, throw some purple pod seed in and see what
happens   :think:

Great list Ryan ... looks like you are going to be the States Bonnet King .... beginning of last season I sent Justin some Allen Boatman SB seed I was concerned that this variety was being lost and needed to be exposed again knowing that his green fingers and climate would reguvinate the variety. Originally known as "TJSB" True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet it lost its status to the MoA many season ago .... slightly flatter than the stereotypical Scotch Bonnet shape with more lobes similar to Foodarama Yellow .... great heat and taste

Devv said:
Congrats on the new lights Ryan!

Now you have the sun in your grow room ;)

Thanks Scott, hopefully turns out to be a good investment! Paying for itself already, it's the only light that needs to be on in the whole basement even with the grow room door shut lol. My wife didn't laugh at that either

PaulG said:
Not at all, Ryan.  The purples were late in the season, waiting
until last moment to  pick the pods.  I was interested to see
how viable such seeds would turn out.  The purple pods were
all awesome with great shape and size , so anything from those
seeds could be good, for future reference. In general, I think you
are def better off with the white pod seed if you are only growing
one. Otherwise, throw some purple pod seed in and see what
happens   :think:
You actually sent way more than 12 but that's what was germ'd for round 1. I do have anorher batch of 12 or so sitting in tupperware but yea, it's a win to just have one plant. Foliage on yours last year was unreal

Trident chilli said:
Great list Ryan ... looks like you are going to be the States Bonnet King .... beginning of last season I sent Justin some Allen Boatman SB seed I was concerned that this variety was being lost and needed to be exposed again knowing that his green fingers and climate would reguvinate the variety. Originally known as "TJSB" True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet it lost its status to the MoA many season ago .... slightly flatter than the stereotypical Scotch Bonnet shape with more lobes similar to Foodarama Yellow .... great heat and taste
Hey John! I'd be happy to join you as Bonnet King but there's around 50 others with glogs that I'd need to catch up to first...half of them live in my state lol. Thanks for the info on the Allen Boatman variety and you're right, I did get them from Justin after ordering from WHP. Unfortunately I'm having trouble germinating this one. I did get some seeds from Stefan a couple years back labeled Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican. I guess this is the same as the Allen Boatman? By the way, followed your advice and started to germ the Beth Boyd Yellow and SB Jamaican Long yellow. Thanks again!

As for other updates, I did add a couple more varieties to my list and will post an update soon. Everything is plugging along and haven't killed anything by mistake yet

So I'm at around 60 plants, which is probably where my final count will be. I am still germinating a few new varieties too which means there's some culling to do.

OBEAH just started to sprout in the paper towel...27 days later smh. I've never had anything take that long. Thinking my basement temp is too cold cause most were late to show up.

Anyhow, here's a pic. The tray up front has entered the 'can be neglected a lil bit and won't immediately die' stage. Love that

jJoNkSP.jpg

Masher said:
Great looking starts. Congrats.

I need to get my dome off and start culling the extra sprouts to one per plug.

those little cups are just the right size as well. 

Thanks bud. Yes they are a great size, 3oz I guess and opaque enough that you can really check out your root action

Genetikx said:
First time doing a glog but have followed others for years now. I don't expect monster 5' plants being just north of Chicago but I do expect to have a good time in the dirt and to neglect pulling weeds a time or twelve. The goal is grow a ton of peppers for sauce and maybe even get into powders this year.

We're currently rocking a 4' 4 tube hydrofarm T5, which I think is an awesome fluorescent. In the past I've supplemented with regular shop lights in the seedling stage and for overflow but might get another proper T5 soon. First time growing in this new house so hopeful to avoid mites, aphids, and the like. I'll end up throwing some plants in the backyard and then also claim a spot at the community garden.

Best of luck to all the awesome grows here at THP. Hope everyone has a great 2018.

Here's the grow list, subject to change just a little bit

Aji Amarillo
Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Andy's Chocolate Reaper Scorpion (WHP)
Bahamian Goat (AJDrew)
Bahamian Goat (Fiogga)
Bahamian Goat (WM)
Bih Jolokia X Sugar Rush Peach (WHP)
Blue Christmas (D3)
BOC
BOC X Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Brain Strain Yellow (one from my seed stock, one for grow down)
D3 Goat Giant
D3 Goat Yellow #4
El Scorponero #6 (D3)
EOB Mustard (I have just one seed lol, fingers crossed)
Fatalii White (WHP)
Flexosoum (Romy)
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach (AJDrew)
Habanero Peach (Paphlady)
Habanero Purple (WHP)
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno Zapotec
OBEAH (Bumpy Lobed)
Omni Bonnet (D3)
PDN X Bonda Ma Jacques (PaulG)
Peach Ghost
Peach Ghost SS
Scotch Bonnet Allen Boatman (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet Belize
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Scotch Bonnet MOA (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (mpicante)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (Trident)
Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Scotch Brain
Scotch Brain Long X Yellow BBG7 (Trident)
Good list.  Your belize scotch bonnet seeds should be there in a couple days.  Threw in some extra seeds as well. My jerk rub and some cracker dust from Matthew Arthur.

Genetikx said:
So I'm at around 60 plants, which is probably where my final count will be. I am still germinating a few new varieties too which means there's some culling to do.

OBEAH just started to sprout in the paper towel...27 days later smh. I've never had anything take that long. Thinking my basement temp is too cold cause most were late to show up.

Anyhow, here's a pic. The tray up front has entered the 'can be neglected a lil bit and won't immediately die' stage. Love that

jJoNkSP.jpg

Woot! We have lift off plus ;)

Looking good Ryan!

Much success from here on out!

jedisushi06 said:
Did you try my banana bonnet sauce yet?
Just did, almost went for a tortilla chip but said fuggit and just grabbed a tablespoon instead. First of all, love the fresh smell. This is not fermented or aged, which I really appreciate. Feel like it's straight from garden to bottle.

I've actually thought of using banana in sauce recently but didn't know how it would work out. Worried banana would be too forward. So anyhow, first thing I get is...banana. Thankfully, not strong tho, you definitely didn't put the whole bushel in here. Banana is first but not intense and it quickly goes to the background. Cool island vibe here lol, I like it. I get that fresh bonnet taste, the burn comes on quick to the tongue, little bit down the chest but not much. Peppers taste great and nice texture to the sauce too. I didn't get a feel for the acid, there's gotta be some kind of vinegar in here but I don't know what kind.

I think you kept the ingredients pretty minimal and let the peppers shine. That's really what I prefer in a sauce personally. I'll use this bottle up pretty quick. It's a winner. Need to get into those powders next

Thanks for the seeds too. I've got scotch belize, aji puerto rican yellow hab, tfm x yellow pixie, and carbonero cream soaking right now. And here I thought I was done germinating. Really appreciate everything, I owe you one

Genetikx said:
Just did, almost went for a tortilla chip but said fuggit and just grabbed a tablespoon instead. First of all, love the fresh smell. This is not fermented or aged, which I really appreciate. Feel like it's straight from garden to bottle.

I've actually thought of using banana in sauce recently but didn't know how it would work out. Worried banana would be too forward. So anyhow, first thing I get is...banana. Thankfully, not strong tho, you definitely didn't put the whole bushel in here. Banana is first but not intense and it quickly goes to the background. Cool island vibe here lol, I like it. I get that fresh bonnet taste, the burn comes on quick to the tongue, little bit down the chest but not much. Peppers taste great and nice texture to the sauce too. I didn't get a feel for the acid, there's gotta be some kind of vinegar in here but I don't know what kind.

I think you kept the ingredients pretty minimal and let the peppers shine. That's really what I prefer in a sauce personally. I'll use this bottle up pretty quick. It's a winner. Need to get into those powders next

Thanks for the seeds too. I've got scotch belize, aji puerto rican yellow hab, tfm x yellow pixie, and carbonero cream soaking right now. And here I thought I was done germinating. Really appreciate everything, I owe you one

Boiled white vinegar and rice vinegar with onion, thai palm sugar, carrot and salt, then blended with 5 ripe bananas from my freezer that you would use for banana bread.  Blended with the chiles, there are a few ghost peppers in there as well besides bonnets.  Ran threw a food mill then added H2O to thin out then heated up then bottled.  Almost added cannabis unfused honey too but added a tablespoon of local honey while it heated up.  

Back