• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

George's 2015 - Yokohama Down In Flames

New season starting!

New grow box. Bigger than the last.
nzsl8Fv.jpg

Tough decisions to make.
xpd2WzA.jpg

Just Chinense starting today. Plenty of baccatum and a few annum coming soon.
rPcBwDo.jpg

My beautiful bug slayer was nearby. Just for luck.
D0Dl3Ez.jpg

So, seeds started today:
Yellow Devils tongue
Bhut orange Copenhagen
Carolina reaper
Reaper x bubblegum
Peach congo
Mako akokosrade
Chocolate bhut
red jays Ghost Scorpion.

Plenty more to follow, this Is just Chinense

Cheers! Game on!

Short beans. No idea what they specifically are thanks to a language barrier. My mother in law gave me seedlings and I took them. All I understood was they fruit well but don't get too tall. I need to stake them tomorrow.
NqkO5PO.jpg

Peter pepper!
I found a seedling for a hundred yen and thought, why not, it will make my wife laugh. It's looking good! 1 gallon pot so maybe won't be as big as others.
YU7xsk0.jpg

Vietnamese chilli. Store bought. Perhaps the busiest chilli I've had. Looking forward to it growing upwards.
SWMvlBO.jpg

Yellow habanero. (yes I know, needs some neem cause there's aphids, but it's Epsom salts day today)
oSrM6c0.jpg

I have 4 pots, 2 varieties of morning glory. Japanese and western style.
pQjhxoC.jpg

Friend of mine gave me an aleppo plant as mine died. It got munched by something the day before I picked it up. It's in the pot now, but it's dark so no photo other than before.
VRpp04N.jpg

You can read what that is.
YcJV3Dr.jpg

Yukari bakan
WNl53y0.jpg

Rainy season just started. Combination of warm weather and plenty of rain water means plants grow noticeably fast.

First few cucumbers. Made pickles.
ZscjaZV.jpg

Cheery tomato 1 and pineapple ground cherry
a2BDfJd.jpg

Wife's eggplant and my erica d'australie
uTmbS8d.jpg

Aji habanero
cFajbAe.jpg

Swiss cheese aleppo
GFDU0TM.jpg

Reaper
awvVZgv.jpg

Beans
772yOKC.jpg

Mako akokosrade
hL2ia20.jpg

Aji cito
9qlfSqY.jpg

Yukari bakan
PWYk2zj.jpg

Got more, just need a bump.

shes an African Pygmy. her body will tell her to hibernate, but in Africa it doesnt get cold enough to need to.

As a result they can't build up the fat reserves to hibernate.

so if it gets cold and instinct says hibernate, its almost certainly fatal.
so i have a temperature controller and heat mat under her cage, her sleeping area is a toasty 25 degrees constantly and so she doesnt need to hibernate.
but it is the opposite right now and im trying to stop her from getting heatstroke.

Plants are looking great G! Love the ladybug with the reverse color scheme! I forgot what part of Africa you said your hedgehog came from... must be one that doesn't have cold weather. Would (s)he normally escape from the heat of the sun by digging a burrow?

She's always burrowing. Trying to find small dark places to curl up in (hence I don't let her run free, cause no idea where she will get.

She has a hide in her cage which is like a dark fluffy igloo.
I recently put a metal plate in the bottom of it to wick away her heat.

Jalapeño is podding up
3DvnFRj.jpg

Peter pepper too
6BbOD72.jpg

Morning glory climbing
ddfHbFE.jpg

Got beans.
4lUX0IM.jpg

Erica d'australie loving rainy season
3HD9Chy.jpg

Aji habanero forked and it flowering too.
Underneath is something to raise pots off the floor so fabric isn't soaking up surface water.
xgpPDKH.jpg

Pineapple ground cherry is trying to take over my garden
gnIpzF8.jpg

Yellow habanero has some nasty looking leaves. Top ones got pretty kicked by aphids too
jAEWA7S.jpg

Aji habanero flower. My first baccatum!
XtjiGXC.jpg

Ladybug larvae. Nice!
sKcZyqj.jpg

Wife papped me doing some maintenance.
Might not look much to some, but my veranda is huge by Tokyo standards.
rR4r874.jpg

Tipsy had her first run around outside today.
zT2alow.jpg

And her little nose was going doubletime trying to take in the new smells whilst feeling the textures of new territory.
Je79xvT.jpg

Very nice looking plants George! Tipsy is hella' cute!

Where are you getting your felt pots from? They look different from mine. Bought mine online through a hydro store, price itself wasn't that bad but the shipping was ridiculous (千円+). Don't want to go through that again.

nice to hear from a fellow japan based  grower.

i got my pots off rakuten.

they boasted that the pots wont perish, but second year they are a bit brittle. still fine but ive teared a few by tryin to pick them up too fast.

but another option )which i might go for next year is that siyu is ownred by walmart and so sell fabric bags for a hundred yen a piece and are actually quite robust.

Carolina reaper
kR0GjRC.jpg

Aleppo
XUTXxUs.jpg

Beast mode ground cherry
1rHO8wO.jpg

Peter pepper
5G2OyIo.jpg

Yukari bakan
VUKBSZJ.jpg

Mako akokosrade is a hell of a specimen. I remember I dropped and nearly killed it when it was a seedling. Now it's a blemishless beauty.
cgKRa5A.jpg

Aubergine
ApuUxvi.jpg

Cherry tomatoes ripening
2Ghp227.jpg

The cavalry
bTN1HCh.jpg

Fresh cukes!
Pwj2QGB.jpg

What a great shot of your balcony grow G! You've surely got a lot of stuff growing in pots and looking great too! Nice to see Jalapeno pods setting and ripe cucumbers for your efforts. Do you make any cold soups during the summer heat with the cukes?

Not yet. But I love hiyashi chuka in summer. Cold ramen noodles with soup and salad toppings (typically cucumber, ham, Crab and egg). It's my favourite food in summer.
Wife always gives me lots of cucumbers and tomato.
Looks like this
hiyashi-chuka-7.jpg

Might just have to run down to seiyu to see check that out!

Your plants aren't getting a little bit bored of the cloudy skies and rain yet? Gimme some sun damnit!

Back