• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating Datil

Has anyone had problems with germinating Datil?

I have had really good Germination rates on all varieties but Datil just won't sprout. I've done two flights of seeds too, and nothing.

Are they a particularly difficult or lengthy Germination?
I really want to grow them this year and time is running out.

Cheers

georgej said:
Has anyone had problems with germinating Datil?

I have had really good Germination rates on all varieties but Datil just won't sprout. I've done two flights of seeds too, and nothing.

Are they a particularly difficult or lengthy Germination?
I really want to grow them this year and time is running out.

Cheers

I grew Datil ;last year and its was a beast to germinate, mine took over a month and when I had almost given up on them they popped thru the soil.   All I can say is patience and cross your fingers. 

Best of luck!                                            

good to know! most seeds pop up in two weeks or less, i almost never have to wait a month for seeds. usually seeds from pepperlover are fast to pop.

Mine are still showing no sign of life, and its well over a month. The seeds were not loooking so fresh so my hopes are aboit gone. Oh well...

12 Datils, 0 germinated. My wife is trying again. Can't afford to give space to an unsatisfactory germination rate. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Dat'l be my problem too, I grabbed two seeds from the seed train and neither of them have germinated over the past 3 weeks. I remain hopeful. All my other seeds are up and growing well.

I'm 1/3 with my Datils this year. All were in the same container and only 1 popped up a week ago. I put the seeds in 3 weeks ago.

update- 2/3 have now sprouted.

I wonder about the current seed stock of some plants. There's another thread on habs not germinating. I had that problem too. Maybe too much out of species breeding dirtying the bloodlines?

Sounds like a few people having the same problem. i haven't given up yet.
I just threw a few on coffee filters in a baggie to try germinate those too. not given up yet though

My big Datils popped fine but are shooting up a bit too fast and getting leggy/top heavy. Despite fan, I may need to use a skewer to stake.

hottoddy said:
My big Datils popped fine but are shooting up a bit too fast and getting leggy/top heavy. Despite fan, I may need to use a skewer to stake.
well that doent sound like a problem, at least they germinated
im honestly a bit pissed off cause i allocated space for them and i expect to get at least 1 of each variety. too late for me to start anything but annum

SavinaRed said:
I bought my seeds from a very reputable vendor in St. Augustine. 
I was thinking hit the farmers market and buy some peppers and harvest those seeds and hope they weren't crossed. They might be more viable that way?

Student of Spice said:
I was thinking hit the farmers market and buy some peppers and harvest those seeds and hope they weren't crossed. They might be more viable that way?
you live right there so I would do that.

Back