• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating experiment: cups vs bags

one thing I learned this year, when putting the seeds into soil for the first time, I just barely cover the seet...root pointing down. I also made the mistake of keeping my soil too moist. I lost 2/3 of my sprouts to moisture and being too deep. My "must move to soil now" moment is when the tap root starts making its smaller roots and looks all fuzzy.

mmcdermott1 said:
I do it exactly as you say (other than I put them on edge of paper town then roll it up so seeds are inside. The best controlled temperature I have found is inside the oven with the oven light on..stays right at 85 degrees and I have massive germination.

I first heard about this method a few weeks ago when watching one of your YT videos. (THANKS!)  Cotton pads in small 'tupperware' style cups are placed in a thick walled styrofoam box, along with a 2 liter bottle of water.  Microwaving the water once a day maintains a nice mid-70s ~ low-80s environment.  Out of 20 seeds of various pepper strains, 18 have germinated, most within 3~5 days.  Yippee!

I am trying this cup method. I can't keep the paper towel damp. all the water collects on the lids and the paper is dry. i have been adding a few drops of water every day yet whn I open them the paper is dry and the lids are covered in drops of water?

Jeff K said:
I am trying this cup method. I can't keep the paper towel damp. all the water collects on the lids and the paper is dry. i have been adding a few drops of water every day yet whn I open them the paper is dry and the lids are covered in drops of water?

Could It be that the lids arn't a tight enough fit and the moisture is evporating?

This looks like its such a winner I've just commited this method to all my seeds this year - finges crossed!

Back