• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination Question???

Ok, just about all the seeds I've planted have germinated successfully....except my unknown India and Ethiopian Thunder varieties...so I dug up a few out of each pot to examine them...they look healthy, big and plump,...but no root formation (I am using a potting mix that has no fertilizer in it)...anyone have any ideas why this is happening??..more heat/less heat...I'm a little stumped on this one:rolleyes:

If the seeds are old, it takes longer to germinate. Plus some varieties take longer. How long has it been?

The seeds were planted about a month ago,...but they come from South Africa and India....and I'm thinking I am not giving them enough heat....I may try soaking them with some willow bark water (which is good for rooting cuttings) and see if it will help encourage root foramation....does anyone know how long it can take for tough to germinate pepper varieties to finally sprout?

It can take 6 or even 8 weeks on hard to germinate seeds. Heat will speed things up. I don't know that willow bark tea will do anything, the seeds don't need to form a root, it's already inside the seed coat. It needs something to make it break dormancy. Maybe chamomile tea instead?

Back