• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination with Bhut Jolokia and Brain Strain

I added organic choice soil, with bone meal, to a plastic cup with a hole at the bottom and put that cup inside of another filled with water, I put one seed in each cup. This was on Thursday of last week, I have to admit that the soil was not just wet it was soaked. One of the cups has mold on the top now, but I also put 5 seeds in a wet paper towel. Nothing has sprouted or germinated.
I was just wondering if all i need is time or should I start over because the soil is too wet?

They usually take 2 weeks or so to germinate. Wait at least 3 weeks to a month before throwing them out. Or you can also try digging into the soil and checking if they've at least rooted. I've had some pots where a seedling will suddenly pop up weeks after the other sprouts.

Miracle Grow Organic Choice? That stuff is absolute crap. I would try an actual seed starting mix. Also, 80-86 degrees is optimal for germination.
Good luck!

Miracle Grow Organic Choice? That stuff is absolute crap. I would try an actual seed starting mix. Also, 80-86 degrees is optimal for germination.
Good luck!

It's actually the soil I'm using right now. Not the best soil for peppers, but it works.

When your using the two cup method water from underneath and spray water on top enough to keep it moist and use a sandwhich bag with a rubberband. This method I tried this year with great results. Before dumpping check the seed if it hasn't molded and remix some of your wet soil with dry soil and repot into the cup use a spray bottle through the process to prevent over watering. Good Luck

When your using the two cup method water from underneath and spray water on top enough to keep it moist and use a sandwhich bag with a rubberband. This method I tried this year with great results. Before dumpping check the seed if it hasn't molded and remix some of your wet soil with dry soil and repot into the cup use a spray bottle through the process to prevent over watering. Good Luck
i dont understand i read about other people using the bag and rubber band but where do i put the rubber band and bag

I will pot a pic tomorrow to show since I just started 4 new plants. I place the sandwhich bag over the top of the cup and place a rubber on the cup to build a mini greehouse.

I will pot a pic tomorrow to show since I just started 4 new plants. I place the sandwhich bag over the top of the cup and place a rubber on the cup to build a mini greehouse.
ok what happened when I put water in the bottom of the second cup the cup with the whole in it just soaked up all the water and made a puddle at the top. How do i stop that from happening?

That where trial and error comes in reduce the water next time by either 1/2 or 3/4 and see what happens but if you just need more water just use a sprayer to give you more control on the amount of water you need.

That where trial and error comes in reduce the water next time by either 1/2 or 3/4 and see what happens but if you just need more water just use a sprayer to give you more control on the amount of water you need.
alright thanks man but do you use a certain type of soil to start your seeds then do you use a different kind after they sprout?

Well I use promix bx but that was only because it was the leftover from last year but as long as the soil is not to heavy when wet you would be fine. I have used Miracle grow organic and I had bad reaction because the amount of fungus gnat I found in two bags that I got out of homedepot when I first started that why I hate Miracle grow but some people say it has worked for them so you should be fine to start seeds in but some people use the MIracle grow moisture control for seed start when it comes to seed starting.

Well I use promix bx but that was only because it was the leftover from last year but as long as the soil is not to heavy when wet you would be fine. I have used Miracle grow organic and I had bad reaction because the amount of fungus gnat I found in two bags that I got out of homedepot when I first started that why I hate Miracle grow but some people say it has worked for them so you should be fine to start seeds in but some people use the MIracle grow moisture control for seed start when it comes to seed starting.
alright Thanks for all the help you have been very informative

Takes up to a month for me, 10 day germination is super quick for me (rarely happens) and only the best, freshest seeds do that for me. I usually have to wait ages.
The mold is probably due to the bonemeal in the mix (don't use it for germination, it does feed mold when you have a moist seed raising mix)

Hello Tindell9, I tried the double cup before as well. You may want to try using a "seedless soiled cup" till you get it tweaked. A plastic plate for all may be an improvement.I now use a small cookie sheet/pan . Its a lot easier to pour like an 1/8" amount of water into the tray this seems to work great for the Italian Ice cups I germinate with. I have drilled 4 holes in the bottom of the cups. 9/64" bit works fine.
I had the same problems with the MG Organic also. Any thing with too much peat will have those gnats.They are a way to know that you used to much water ! After you decide on the media for your grow,OMRI Certificated if you want organic. I label my cups with a Sharpie then open the correct seed pack, put away and work methodically for the 20 or so varieties I start.You want to plant the seeds like 1/4 " I just put 3 seeds down then sprinkle the vermiculite as a cover the 1/4" You may want to invest in a seed warming pad. Sorry for the ramble, I like the others are very chompin' at the bit this time of year !!

Hello Tindell9, I tried the double cup before as well. You may want to try using a "seedless soiled cup" till you get it tweaked. A plastic plate for all may be an improvement.I now use a small cookie sheet/pan . Its a lot easier to pour like an 1/8" amount of water into the tray this seems to work great for the Italian Ice cups I germinate with. I have drilled 4 holes in the bottom of the cups. 9/64" bit works fine.
I had the same problems with the MG Organic also. Any thing with too much peat will have those gnats.They are a way to know that you used to much water ! After you decide on the media for your grow,OMRI Certificated if you want organic. I label my cups with a Sharpie then open the correct seed pack, put away and work methodically for the 20 or so varieties I start.You want to plant the seeds like 1/4 " I just put 3 seeds down then sprinkle the vermiculite as a cover the 1/4" You may want to invest in a seed warming pad. Sorry for the ramble, I like the others are very chompin' at the bit this time of year !!
ok thank you very much

Yep, its a waiting game with the super hots. You wait and wait and wait and then they decide to pop up. I have had some superhots take upto a month to germinate. Also, like suggested, keep them warm and moist (not wet). I have gotten my best germination around 85 degrees +/- 3 degrees or so.

Dont give up, i can only say that, learn the experience by doing it. There are so many way to germinate. Seed quality the fresher the better, heat, and moist is the most important aspect of germination the super hots.

Back