• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination?

How long does it usually take for dried seeds to germinate. I noticed the dried stuff I got from the hippys in Australia,
is taking a while

I planted 36 seeds of Butch scorpion. N

still waiting to see one single seedling popping out of the dirt.

If i can just have a 10- 25% germ ratio I will be happy!

When did you sow them? it can take anywhere from a couple a days to over a month and that's if you're doing it right. could take longer if you're not.
It is critical to keep the temperature constant, preferably around 28c and keep the medium always moist, yet not wet. if you want a quick germination that is. even a higher or lower temperature would work as long as it's constant and they're moist.

Last year I sowed 216 seeds.... like 45 varieties in soil. I got 90% percet germination. Most were up in 7-10 days, just a few took up to 14 days, nothing after that.

Last year I sowed 216 seeds.... like 45 varieties in soil. I got 90% percet germination. Most were up in 7-10 days, just a few took up to 14 days, nothing after that.
You obviously did something right. I'm guessing the seeds were quite fresh as well. :)

I keep mine at 86-87 degrees, use an indoor/outdoor thermometer. Those heating mats are the best. I put condiment cups between mine and the heating mat it keeps it below 90 having the heat build between and then raise into the seed starting mix.

I would give it 6-7 days in optimum growing conditions, minimal, but I would suspect them at the latest in good coinditions 9-14 days. My Butch T's came up I believe a little later then some of the 7 Pots

How did you sow them? and what growing conditions.
did you soak them at all? I soak mine minumum 1 hour and shake up the condiment cups that I have warm water in until they start to sink.
Gave me near 95% germination.

My germination has been so erratic.... I had some up in 3-4 days and now a month later I am getting others from that batch still. I think the difference for me has been a combination of different mediums, seed freshness and not soaking them. Most of my seeds that are taking their time are in non-jiffy brand jiffys and I think the medium is too fine, I've started roughing up the surface a little bit every few days and they seem to be pushing through now.
I'll definitely be soaking my seeds next season so everything is a bit more uniformed!

What exactly do you mean by soaking your seeds? Are you talking about putting your seeds under a wet paper towel or coffee filter?

Getting seeds to germinate can be quite frustrating ....Heres my last seasons method ....i got 90% germiantion :

Placed a weak camomile tea solution in a small plastic bag....added my seeds to it ( remembering to label the bag )....tied up the bag ..then placed the bag containing seeds into a peice of cotton and tied it into a small parcel ....then got a thermosflask with water at roughly 20c and placed the seed parcel into it ......repeat for individual seed types...then stored for 24hours ....emptied the thermos of water ..untied the little parcels ...took out the seeds and placed into growing medium in a heated propagator . Hope this helps

Back