• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Geryon's Grilling Sauce

Well, it's almost time for deer camp. Time for a couple of good sauces to keep you sweating while on the stand...

This one is a fairly traditional apple BBQ sauce, with Douglah, Scorpions and Serrano Tampiqueno peppers providing the fire. Here is a shot of the ingredients, except for the frozen Scorpion and Serrano peppers. I have the Douglah plant inside, I couldn't bear to cut it back and that pile is about 2 dozen peppers picked a few minutes before I took this picture. I had a couple of jar's of apple butter left over from another project, so I decided to use that instead of applesauce or fresh apples.

015.jpg

Because of the long simmer time I do this one in a crock pot, although I'm informed that this one also has to move out to the garage, as everyone else in the family was coughing by the time it was in the bottles.

016.jpg

I left it alone for 4 hours, ran it through the blender and had this, it hadn't reduced down that much, so I cooked it with the cover off for a few hours.

017.jpg

When I got to the consistency I was looking for I checked the ph, right about where I was hoping for. It's thick, dark and smells very nice but the amount of heat in it isn't apparent from a sniff test.

018.jpg

I bottled it in 12 oz sauce decanters I picked up from WB Bottle in Milwaukee when I was there for a meeting on Monday. No shipping charges make it a no brainer, and they take walk in orders for small orders. The standard canning jar is going to my food processor class to use for sample testing.

019.jpg

With the different Rick Riordan books out my kids are very much into mythology, so I came up with the names of some of this years sauces out of mythology.

Label.JPG

Wikipedia is your friend if you want some background on the name of the sauce. Since this one is just for me and friends I borrowed an image for the lable that showed the monster with parts of different creatures, including the scorpions sting. I need to pick up more labels this week so I can get them on the bottles

Back