• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Getting Fit!

grant this is awesome,keep it up :dance:  Dairy is a treat for me these days and I dont miss it at all. I would drink 3 or 4 glasses of milk a night and put cheese on everything. went cold turkey and it has made a huge diffrence," I still once in a whie will slam a pint of ice cream" but thats no ones business :shh:

dont eat much red meat either and try to eat lots of veggies. Pickles have been a life saver. Ill munch a jar a day sometimes. Great guilt free snack if you get the right ones.  youre doing great and just keep it up.

Quitting sugar + caffeine is a bitch.

Grant why you doubling up on the carbs on beer day with the oats? If you dont mind me asking and sounding stuck up?

sicman said:
dont eat much red meat either and try to eat lots of veggies. Pickles have been a life saver. Ill munch a jar a day sometimes. Great guilt free snack if you get the right ones.  youre doing great and just keep it up.

i rock the pickles too, and i agree, that they're particularly satisfying for a specific type of craving ...

and you are also right on the last bit, making it of paramount importance over everything else is always the hard part, at least long-term ...

heckle - i'm not sure if you mean the 50 cal diet oat/flax "pita" to melt the two pieces of muenster on, or the oats i added to the beer? ... if the former, a high-fiber/protein-fortified 50 cal that doesn't set off the glycemic alarm system is a pretty effective digression ... if you mean why add flaked oats to my homebrew, it's around 8-10% of the grain bill to add head retention and a nicer mouthfeel - and the grains don't actually end up in the product, of course ...

for me, it's a long haul ... the classic meaning of the word diet ... choosing to make this the way i eat all of the time, my normal, for the rest of my life ... despite work bs, despite relationships, despite family, despite cops killing black people and everything else the universe throws my way - that's the hard part ...

ally, i offloaded some of that at the dr the other day, i asked her to have me back 3-4 times a year, to keep me dieting more year-round ...

she made me come back in a month knowing that, and so the diet will continue, and i now have some "authority" in that regard ... i expect it will continue, and good things will come from it.

i have to say, though ... all of the time i spent cooking and obsessing over food taught me some hacks/techniques that i'm leveraged to good effect now, and the food i'm eating on my diet, isn't nearly as bleak as the stuff i used to fix myself - so that's great, and hopefully will help me maintain the pattern for the long haul ahead of me ...

i like this thread ... and i think there will always be someone who needs it.

CHEERS!

I meant the pita.

are oats not as bad as wheat? i tend to lump all the grains together

grantmichaels said:
i'm going to drink a lot of beer today, probably, but i'll offset that by only eating two or three 225 cal snacks (50 cal oat+flax pita thang w/ two slices of muenster, and hs) and no entrée-type meals.

What I was thinking reading this is that if you ate high protein entree type meals with your beer it would be better than the oatmeal on top of the beer and no entree?

Prolly be fuller too?

I'm just confused as to why you subbed out the entree for snacks because of the beer in effect carbing on top of the carbs to offset the carbs/beer?  I get the calorie thing, but to me its like cheating on yourself twice instead of once?

Using the beer to wash down a steak or fish is better IMO.

Heckle said:
I meant the pita.

are oats not as bad as wheat? i tend to lump all the grains together
totally ... possibly even ok for celiac folks.

i fit the metabolic syndrome/syndrome x type ...

my body works pretty much how one needs if i pay mind to the glycemic index of what i eat ...

i am better off w/ alfredo than a roll, because the fat blunts to glycemic load, if you will ...

at day's end it's mostly still cal in/cal out, so that alfredo means i'm done for a while if i've had it, which usually is the case, right? ... it's filling ...

where things go wrong for me is if i buy some orange juice, or have soda, or anything that's simple sugars w/o protein, fat, or fiber to moderate the insulin response ... that's what sets of a chain reaction, with intense craving etc ...

there's some pretty sound logic behind never eating anything you crave, as most cravings are an insidious manifestation of food-allergy-addiction ...

for me, it's all about the mental game ... i know tons about health, nutrition, and exercise ... but maintaining those habits, has been pretty fucking elusive.

some people should never make themselves happy (or try, anyways) with food, and just look at it as refueling ...

when i'm at my best, food is fuel. i just need to wrap my head around living that way forever, and haven't ...

better to get there w/o medical crisis, too (stroke, infarct, type ii) ... lol.

the food i'm eating on my diet, isn't nearly as bleak as the stuff i used to fix myself - so that's great, and hopefully will help me maintain the pattern for the long haul ahead of me ...

i like this thread ... and i think there will always be someone who needs it.

I'd like to see food pics and stuff in here (we all need ideas and variation) if sic doesnt care, cuz to me getting fit is about more than exercise and then its all in one place for those of us who need it
grantmichaels said:
 ... but maintaining those habits, has been pretty f**king elusive.

We lose our ability to plan and delay gratification when the prefrontal cortex is rewired in early life.
grantmichaels said:
 or have soda, or anything that's simple sugars

for me, it's all about the mental game ...

i just need to wrap my head around living that way forever

my nemeses

mt dew and my own head

i know it has to be forever so now i get excuses from myself about even starting again, and i havent, lol
grantmichaels said:
 as most cravings are an insidious manifestation of food-allergy-addiction ...

like when corps add the excito-toxins to foods?

Heckle said:

i know it has to be forever so now i get excuses from myself about even starting again, and i havent, lol
yup, me too.

it's the insidious aspect of perfectionism.

i'm not going to start until i can do it efficiently, mentality ...
the answer to most any thing that i struggle w/ is "Just Do It" ...

and candidly, it's so fucking annoying that a fitness company's slogan is the antidote to my brand of autopoisonous apathy, too ...

i truly resent that, lol.

grantmichaels said:
for me, it's all about the mental game ... 

Thats IT! Its mental. You know this so does everyone else. Its hard to wake up every morning at 4:30 no matter how drunk I got the night before,lol. But it has to happen or I will not live as long as I can as heathy as I can. Getting Fit is the whole body. Get strong. Mind,body,soul. 

Heckle,what the fuct? You harrasing this thread,lol. Lets do it with some results.
    Motivation,positive thoughts is what it takes. Lets change our life.

^ lol grant

I find it helpful to just be mindful of every single little decision I'm making.

sicman said:

Thats IT! Its mental. You know this so does everyone else. Its hard to wake up every morning at 4:30 no matter how drunk I got the night before,lol. But it has to happen or I will not live as long as I can as heathy as I can. Getting Fit is the whole body. Get strong. Mind,body,soul. 

Heckle,what the fuct? You harrasing this thread,lol. Lets do it with some results.
    Motivation,positive thoughts is what it takes. Lets change our life.

I'm out walking the dog every night for up to a couple hours! so tempting to just get a sled and let him pull me

Heckle said:

Using the beer to wash down a steak or fish is better IMO.
this is what works, and what i'm doing, but not what i was doing ...

actually, i do well eating off an app plate ...

i should almost never have a dinner plate of food ...

lol.
i agree, mindfulness is a very helpful way to focus the energy on the right solutions.
Heckle said:
like when corps add the excito-toxins to foods?
yup ... and, i'm pretty solid on this one ... i tend to do a lot of homemade shit, for this reason ...
sicman said:
Thats IT! Its mental. You know this so does everyone else.
there are plenty of people who don't know better, but i'm not one of them ...

it's a behavioral problem.

i have some excuses, but ultimately have to live w/ the consequences of my actions, so it's mine to own.

so easy to talk about while doing things right, but when i'm out of sorts, it's different ...

they say, 'when all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail' ...

i say, now, 'when you feel like a victim - everything feels like an attack' ...

working on getting Danielle to grok that one's significance ... harder for her.

i say, now, 'when you feel like a victim - everything feels like an attack' ...

working on getting Danielle to grok that one's significance ... harder for her.

stupid amygdala.

"You see shrinkage in the prefrontal cortex resulting from chronic stress, whereas the amygdala, the part of the brain that detects threat, starts working overtime and actually gets bigger. Thus, the more anxious and stressed you are, the more anxious you become." - William Stixrud, Ph.D.

It's actually physical. *for danielle

but....

Individuals with larger amygdalae had larger and more complex social networks. They were also better able to make accurate social judgments about other persons' faces.[43]

Amygdala neurons show various types of oscillation during emotional arousal, such as theta activity. These synchronized neuronal events could promote synaptic plasticity (which is involved in memory retention) by increasing interactions between neocortical storage sites and temporal lobe structures involved in declarative memory.[21]

Heckle said:

I'm out walking the dog every night for up to a couple hours! so tempting to just get a sled and let him pull me
  That is pretty funny.

grant and Heckle lets do this. Drop the weight yall can do this.  Who is with me? We live once. This is it. Lets get fit :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  Only positive in this thread.   The more oxygen you give your brain the better you will perform in everything.

Bouncing back after influenza, which derailed my previous get back into it enthusiasm, now I can breathe again the dogs are getting a big walk this morning, and doing some light weights this afternoon.

Like most, riding the train of inconsistency has been an issue for me.  That and being torn between conflicting hobbies - beer and food enthusiasm do not generally result in becoming an eight pack ripped and veined muscle monster.  Desk jobs that consume the days do not help with that either.  In my teens and early 20's I was a gym rat, kickboxing and other martial arts.  

I also realise that at 38 if I don't get back into a routine, a whole bunch of chronic disease would be no doubt in my future.   

Time to harness up the pack..

I am only down about 5 pounds, but I have put on a lot of new muscle mass. That is fine by me. Weight is just a number. I am losing fat and building muscle. So I may still be heavier than I'd like, but there there is a beast building within me.

Enjoy ladies!

IMG_20150809_124158414.jpg

Well, last day of vacation today so dinner is home made deep fried chicken fingers and onion chips tonight (with a salad :rofl: ) with a homemade spicy ketchup. I guess getting fit will wait until tomorrow. ..Tonight, I'm drinking. :woohoo:

Woke up earlier than usual to get stuff done for a deadline, and instead of going back to bed/lounging around I laced up and went for a quick run.  After the run I did some calisthenics stuff and tai chi at the park, came home and finished off the work out with some static holds.  A martial arts friend turned me on to static holds recently after I had complained about not achieving the physical goals I was shooting for, even though I felt like I was putting the sweat in.   Some of them seem really simple, but they are tougher than they appear.  I google searched for an image to give you guys an idea of what I'm talking about

Holding-it-Tight-%E2%80%93-Static-Holds-Workout-Routine-featured.jpg

Try some of that!  I also have been doing more balance work because I've been slacking in that department.  That stuff is great for your core!  

Back