• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Getting into hydro, and yet another Nut question

Ok so this winter my plan is to start a couple of homemade hydro setups, one DWC and one Ebb and flow, to see hows things go and maybe next summer building a more extensive setup for outdoor growing. SO the Nuts i picked up are the Sensi Grow (Part A & B), simple 2 part system fairly cheap, i wanted jungle juice but they didn't have it. While at the hydro store i was a little overwhelmed with the huge number of "supplements" i can add to the basic Nut solution and i was wondering if you guys use these extra supplements and do they really make a difference. Im just going to stick to the basic solution and first get a better feel on that before i venture into the additional stuff.

Get some Cal-Mag great stuff to keep around. And some mosquito dunks for when/if the fungus gnats show up.

i am very new to Hydro as well and from what i have been noticing is if you get the right stuff it has all the micro nutes the plants need, but i also have a bottle of cal/mag for my soil plants just in case the show signs of needing more cal/mag i can foliar spray them!

I tried every additive that I could get my hands on and went back to just MaxiBloom base nutes. It has saved me a lot of wasted money for snakeoil.

The only additives that I need if things go wrong are a Calmag supplement and peroxide for root infections.

i've got cal/mag around for my potted plants so i should be good there, i'm excited to dive into this! any thoughts to the Sensi Grow nuts?

I guarantee those will work well if you keep the pH and ppm in check, you will just run out quickly. With liquid nutes, you are paying for water. I use MaxiBloom. When I am done with this bag, I am going with Jack's hydro 2-part. There are also links for bulk dry hydro nutes a few places on the forums here.

I will tell you from experience the way to go is Ebb and Flo rather than DWC. Yes the potential is there for monster plants with DWC.. But DWC is just a giant headache. Res Temps is the biggest problem.. Then next problem is air pumps crapping out.

I have used Sensi Grow and Bloom A+B.. And honestly I had better results using a modified GH formula. I only used the micro/bloom part of the flora series.. Using half as much micro as I did bloom. It works extremely well.

Powdered nutrients have their problems as well. Keeping them mixed over a prolonged period is a pain, as well as clogging your equipment.

Also I would use beneficial additives during the vegetative stage.. Such as Great White. But only if the water you are using is chlorine/chloramine free. Stay away from Advanced Nutrients Voodoo Juice. I did a side by side comparison with Great White, and Great White came out on top at 1/10 price.

As far as the other additives.. I have found that products such as big bud will give you bigger fruit, bud candy will enhance the taste, and silicates will create stronger plants. The only supplement I use for peppers is B vitamin supplements, and a Cal-Mag if needed.

Back