• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Getting Ready to Grow

I am getting ready for the growing season.  Last year the plants that did the best were in an old claw foot tub that I was using for a planting bed.  They did so well I picked another one up off of craigslist.  For drainage I copied something I saw on a home improvement show, empty plastic bottles with the cap on.  Much cheaper than getting a bunch of stone and lighter if I ever have to move the tub.  Then I put in landscaping cloth and gardening soil.  I will put three plants in each tub.  -Alden

20140315_112851_zpsy863cn81.jpg
20140315_113005_zpsfennncxk.jpg
20140315_160456_zpssthsktiw.jpg

I tried growing peppers in 2012 in 17" pots with the bottom 1/3 filled with crushed white rock.

The only thing I accomplished was wasting a bunch of potting soil and white rock. And a few broken pots when I tried to pick them up to dump the contents at the end of the year.

The largest of the plants I'd potted this way grew to a whopping 12" tall and produced 2 miniscule pods.

Last year (2013) I just went straight potting soil; tried two different kinds; shults and miracle grow. Shults was by FAR better, the miracle grow plants started yellowing out from nutrient deficiency WAY before the shults pots did. Easily correctible with doses of fertilizer, but one was decidedly less maintenance.

I'd like to try my own soil composition this year but have limited time. I definitely won't try gravel ever again though. That ruined 20 of my plants two years ago.

I've found the tubs are plenty deep enough to provide enough soil for the plants even when I put rock or bottles in them.  Like I said I grew monster sized plants in one tub last year so this year I am doubling down.

-Alden

Back