• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ghost Issue, Need Help Please.

The issue was nitrogen deficiency. Ghost are finally green and growing, slow but growing, some producing pods.

Attachments

• 20201123_141356.jpg
    20201123_141356.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20201123_141455.jpg
    20201123_141455.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 88
How did you make this determination?  Was it an antagonistic deficiency, or just a regular "not enough" type?

solid7 said:
How did you make this determination?  Was it an antagonistic deficiency, or just a regular "not enough" type?

Neighbor that grows vegetables came over and told me he had the same issue. Added Alaska 5-1-1 weekly on ghost only and issue was resolved. soil PH in all rows is still 7-8 but plants are doing well as you can see here. https://www.facebook.com/magnofarms

Yes, pH is not the end-all.  If you have a high pH soil or substrate, you can largely mitigate that by adding copious amounts of organic matter, rather than trying to fight the soil chemistry.  That's a battle that you'll never win.  Side note: If the Alaska 5-1-1 worked, that's great news.  But if you've used it anecdotally to solve an unsubstantiated nitrogen problem, that may not be the answer, no matter how sweet the victory.  It's a great fertilizer, to be sure.  I've grown full grows on it, with nothing else added.  By the numbers, that doesn't make much sense.  But I think that it just supports better soil biology, in general.  The bad news, is that you have to keep adding it.  If it were really a nitrogen deficiency, you'd be better served (and more cost effective) using a slow release. 
Glad it worked out for you, in either case.

solid7 said:
Yes, pH is not the end-all.  If you have a high pH soil or substrate, you can largely mitigate that by adding copious amounts of organic matter, rather than trying to fight the soil chemistry.  That's a battle that you'll never win.  Side note: If the Alaska 5-1-1 worked, that's great news.  But if you've used it anecdotally to solve an unsubstantiated nitrogen problem, that may not be the answer, no matter how sweet the victory.  It's a great fertilizer, to be sure.  I've grown full grows on it, with nothing else added.  By the numbers, that doesn't make much sense.  But I think that it just supports better soil biology, in general.  The bad news, is that you have to keep adding it.  If it were really a nitrogen deficiency, you'd be better served (and more cost effective) using a slow release. 
Glad it worked out for you, in either case.

I appreciate the wisdom.

Just got to looking at this. Really appeared all plants needed ferts badly. Are you against a traditional slow release? If so I would strongly suggest reconsidering, when moving to commercial the cost effectiveness of a nice slow release is important. Florikan has many great products I would highly recommend. I use their 60 day regularly growing commercial Cannabis, but it also goes on my personal pepper grow.

Second I’m concerned with your pest / fungus prevention. Those plants look awfully close and wet. I would highly suggest looking into preventative spraying, to me this grow looks like a vector for disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peppergator said:
Just got to looking at this. Really appeared all plants needed ferts badly. Are you against a traditional slow release? If so I would strongly suggest reconsidering, when moving to commercial the cost effectiveness of a nice slow release is important. Florikan has many great products I would highly recommend. I use their 60 day regularly growing commercial Cannabis, but it also goes on my personal pepper grow.

Second I’m concerned with your pest / fungus prevention. Those plants look awfully close and wet. I would highly suggest looking into preventative spraying, to me this grow looks like a vector for disease.

I have this installed https://mazzei.net/venturi_injectors but its global, not isolated, so obviously I have to treat certain plants manually if needed. Does  Florikan have a soluble product?

Magno Farms said:

I have this installed https://mazzei.net/venturi_injectors but its global, not isolated, so obviously I have to treat certain plants manually if needed. Does  Florikan have a soluble product?
Florikan is a granular product, not soluble. I have grow in plastic mulch and lifted and applied granular however, in addition to injecting ferts. Maybe you could look into that. I also believe they have even slower release products up to once a year. I prefer to 60 day to hit the plants hard and get in and close with plants more often but the 1-year might be something to look into.

Peppergator said:
Florikan is a granular product, not soluble. I have grow in plastic mulch and lifted and applied granular however, in addition to injecting ferts. Maybe you could look into that. I also believe they have even slower release products up to once a year. I prefer to 60 day to hit the plants hard and get in and close with plants more often but the 1-year might be something to look into.

I will look into it, thanks for helping.

Looks like you have most of your issues worked out. I definitely agree with the soil test recommendations. If your local AG office isn't providing assistance, there is other options. Logan labs is well known. I had a test done two years ago by "simply soil testing" in WA. On the scale you are growing, the soil test will save you money for sure.

Back