• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Ghost Pepper Not Hot???

I was hoping someone culd help. I have grown two Ghost Pepper plants over the winter indoors under grow lights. The first two peppers were ripe so we picked and ate them this last weekend.
They were barely hot... I'm talking less than a Jalapeno! Can someone tell me why that might be? They look like Ghost Peppers and they are fully ripe (Red).

That would of been helpful, but I can't view pics from this cpu (work firewall), so i was just going by what he posted " I have grown two Ghost Pepper plants over the winter indoors under grow lights."

Didn't know they were actually outside. If thats the case, I agree with what someone else mentioned, sounds like something else is going on.

That would of been helpful, but I can't view pics from this cpu (work firewall), so i was just going by what he posted " I have grown two Ghost Pepper plants over the winter indoors under grow lights."

Didn't know they were actually outside. If thats the case, I agree with what someone else mentioned, sounds like something else is going on.
He has pictures of a ripe red pod and ripening pods on the plant. in any case, a light sufficient enough to ripen the pod is enough to encourage enough heat.

My suggestion is to pick some pods and cover them with hot sauce and let it dry. That should warm them up. That first pic does look bhutish to me but the second and on remind me of my carib red habs last year

There isn't a gene for super hot chiles. there is the genetic tendency of producing more Capsaicin. in my experience it is EXTREMELY hard to reduce the production in Bhut Jolokia crosses, especially in a single generation.

My guess, after seeing the pics, is that it doesn't matter if those are Bhut Jolokias or not... there's something else going on.
You could always purchase your Bhut Jolokia seeds from CPI, but I do think those pods should produce a heck of a lot more heat.

Try eating another whole pod fresh off the plant and report back. I hope, for your sake, it is some kind of heatless pepper. :lol:

Yeah, that's why I stipulated second-gen. As I understand it, cross pollination effects don't even show up until second generation offspring. So this would have been the parents of the seeds he received. It's possible they were second-gen or later cross pollinated. Assuming all the other requisite conditions for heat were met, then that would be my guess, but again, I'm noobish so I'll defer to you.

I used plant lights I bought at the sore here while they were young. But they are outside now. I am waiting for the next couple pods to ripen so I can see if all are turning out that way.
Based on what I'm hearing, I think it may have been just bad seeds, possibly multi-gen/cross polinated. My second plant that started from the same seeds have about 4 pods that will be ripe soon as well. I am going to see if the problem is the same with it.

Back