• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Ghost Scorpion

Here is my write up I did on Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion:We had an average turnout this Monday night, but we had an unusual taste test this time around. I brought in my first Peach Bhut Jolokia pod produced from seeds provided by our friend Joe and the Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion. We have never had such a varied opinion on which of the two to compare where hotter, tasted better, and all that kind of thing.
I guess I should start with what I thought about each of them. FIrst, they look just about the same. The Peach Bhut even had a little tail on it like the Jay's pepper. We started with what we had never tried before the Peach Bhut Jolokia. The heat hit within a few seconds and was very consistant for a few minutes. The taste was fairly strong for a peach pod. The heat isn't at a level like the Scorpions or anything worse than that, they weren't even as hot as a good hot, red Bhut. The heat held on for a while, but within 10 minutes, I was ready to try the next sample. The Jay's pepper was very much like the one we had taste tested a few weeks back. When you first tasted the Jay's pepper, it wasn't very hot at all, but it did give you a better chance at tasting it, where the regular peach bhut was hot right away and didn't give you as much of a chance to taste the real taste of just the pepper. The Jay's pepper has a bit of a watered down taste, but in a way, that isn't all that bad. It is a milder taste and opposed to a slightly harsh taste as you get with the regular peach bhut. The heat of The Jay's pepper builds up though and grows to a level that exceeeded the regular peach bhut. The heat lasted a lot longer on the Jay's pepper once it got up to top level.
The big question was which one everyone liked better, and that is where everyone was mixed. For all the reasons I mentioned, probably right down the middle, half the people prefered one and the other half prefered the other. The race was pretty close, but for me, I think the Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion edged out the Peach Bhut Jolokia by a slim margin, but as I said, everyone had different opinions. That's whats great about having a hot pepper night with lots of people trying the same things. Everyone has their own perspective on the same things.
We thought about what kind of ingredients would you use to make the best sauce using either of these peppers. Both have a unique taste that I'm not used to tasting with yellows and reds. Maybe using peaches, but also, maybe one of the more unusual mangos might be a good way to go. Anybody have any ideas on this?

After eating these for another year, I found that they have a very time release burn. At first, people say that these aren't hot, then as long as 3 minutes later, the people are turning pink and sweating, and have that sort of sick look. I found that I don't really liked this pepper fresh because it has a watered down taste to it. Then I made a batch of powder out of them and found what they are perfect for. The powder has a great strong taste that is upfront and it is hot at once. It out perfect for a sauce with peaches or mangoes.
They put on piles of pods. My largest one had about 50 on it right now. The plants seem to get a little yellow looking after they have lots pods on them, they do much better with a little more fertilizer than some others. I have learned to really like these.

"They put on piles of pods. My largest one had about 50 on it right now. The plants seem to get a little yellow looking after they have lots pods on them, they do much better with a little more fertilizer than some others."

+1 to this. Mine also yellowed quite a bit when they set pods, extra ferts and follar feeding with Epsom salt greened them right up. Very floral tasting for sure, but I really like the taste.

Back