• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Giant Jalapeno pic and couple of questions

On Saturday I was at a TX grocery chain, HEB. Their jalapenos on this visit were the LARGEST I have ever seen anywhere. They were over 5 inches long, and thick in diameter. I love to make grilled poppers, and bought these do so with. Stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar and wrapped in bacon, these monsters where a meal in themselves. They had a little less heat than a usual jalapeno, but had good pepper flavor.

My question is was this a fluke, or would this be a different type of jalapeno? Is this most likely a Monsanto(Monsatan) Monster hybrid?
I saved some seeds. Would the plants from these seeds have the possibility of growing as large? Or is it a gamble? I think the origin was Mexico.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts.

IMG_689910.jpg

Some seeds mature before the pod actually ripens. in here you can clearly see the cut pod was about to change color. I would say at least some of its seeds would germinate. probably the same with the others.

Large pods is a genetic trait. it would be like asking "is it possible to get tall kids if my wife and I are over 6'4"?". never mind the fact that would be a really tall woman. :lol:

Some seeds mature before the pod actually ripens. in here you can clearly see the cut pod was about to change color. I would say at least some of its seeds would germinate. probably the same with the others.

Large pods is a genetic trait. it would be like asking "is it possible to get tall kids if my wife and I are over 6'4"?". never mind the fact that would be a really tall woman. :lol:

+1 I agree

We had some similar peno's here at our local Mexican grocery market. My wife and I were both amazed at the size and they had a really crisp taste.

Back