• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Giant maxican rocoto is not flowering

Hello!

Plants aged 4 months almost. But not yet flowering. I think something is not right with them.
All the other plants I planted (other types) at the same time already take out flowers and even fruit.
In addition some lower leaves have yellowed and cracked. 
What could be the problem?
This is my plant.

53b2ac41bf75a.jpg

If you have done nothing different with this plant, then just give it more time. It is simply not ready to flower. I started mine in January and they only started flowering about 2 weeks ago. So don't sweat it.

8gF7PBo.jpg

Nobody should start growing hot peppers unless have patience :P
I see you have a bouginvillea, nice plant! Too bad can't resist to the cold weather in my country....

Sorry, ate a letter! It is Bougainvillea, Do a search. Also named paper flower (flor de papel). Nothing to do with peppers, I just saw it on the floor.

rghm1u20 said:
Sorry, ate a letter! It is Bougainvillea, Do a search. Also named paper flower (flor de papel). Nothing to do with peppers, I just saw it on the floor.

LOL you must have some sharp eyes, b/c I can't see anything haha.

filmost said:

LOL you must have some sharp eyes, b/c I can't see anything haha.
On the left edge of picture, you can see about half of leaf, and above this you can see on the floor the bracts of a bougainvillea. There are also 2-3 more around there.

Thank you for your help !
I saw another problem with my habanero, it starts to drop its flowers/buds :tear: . What could be the reason?
What should I do in order to prevent it from happening?

Thank you for your help !
I saw another problem with my habanero, it starts to drop its flowers/buds :tear: . What could be the reason?
What should I do in order to prevent it from happening?

Pepper flower drop reasons
1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Manzano/rocotos are a long haul. My three manzanos took forever last year. They grew huge before flowering. Then, the flowers stayed for a long time before setting fruit. It was September before I saw any pods. I hear they like cooler temps before podding, so that makes since. I chose not to grow them this year. I've heard people have great success the second year, if you can overwinter and not cut them back much.

Back