• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Giant White Hab vs White 7 Pot - the same?

I told myself that i wanted to grow the Giant white habs after seeing Luigi 's plant. See this post.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/20041-best-white-varieties/page__fromsearch__1

Then i saw Judy's Trinidad 7 pod white and thought it would be cool too.

So in preparation for this seasons grow i looked to order the giant white habs & the white 7 pot. The giant white habs were not available from the places i made orders for other items, but did get the 7 Pot whites.

Then i find the giant wht habs on the refining chiles site. And then read jim's description pretty much saying that white 7s dont exist, that they are just giant wht habs. See link...
http://refiningfirechiles.com/giantwhitehabgallery.html

In my research online, i also found someone in England who had what was explained to be white 7s that turned out to be giant wht habs (sorry, no link, late nite reading and can't remember where other than one of many Google searches). And now if you go to Judy's pepperlover.com site, her "Trinidad 7 pod white" is no longer on the site. Like gone, not still there but marked as "sold out".

So i question?
Has anyone grown both and can say that they are not the same plants, just named otherwise? Is Mr Duffy correct and that explains the missing item listing?

I did purchase the giant white habs seeds from refining chiles, and will be growing them right next to the white 7s from pepperlover. Do i now have duplicate seeds?

I actually have two white 7s (if that is what they are?) up and one has never looked healthy. Very necrosis light green leaves and has barely grown compared to the other. In my online research (yes, i spend way too much time online looking up peppers) i read that since these have such recessive genes for the white, that they are week, slow growers, and some just don't make it. So i hoping this one pulls through and it is a sign that it will have true white pods. I hope both produce white pods actually.

It appears that many have had pods grow out to be orange, yellow, and red from giant white hab seeds. And even some that have a white period before ripening yellow. And i think one member here had a white 7 grow out orange from his powder listings. With white being so recessive i think it appears that it isn't easy to get a large white podded plant, and is nearly a numbers game. Hoping for a large white pod regardless.

I see white 7s on a ton of grow list right now.
Anyway have any info or thoughts?
Thanks
Ga GH

I've grown the 7-Pot White last season and also tried the Giant White Hab. unfornately the seeds from 2 sources didn't grow true. So I couldn't compare them. I liked the taste of the 7Pot White a lot but to me it was hotter then your regular Habanero. At the end of the season the pods were more yellow then white, I was told this was due the lack of enough sun hours? Luckily I managed to find some true Giant White Hab seeds for the 2013 season, so I can compare them.

I have grown White 7s from neither source!
Im not sure if I would consider them as Supers, But they are very HOT and very beautiful!
white7pod.jpg

Inside shot!
white7-1.jpg

:cool:
Kevin

I have grown White 7s from neither source!
Im not sure if I would consider them as Supers, But they are very HOT and very beautiful!

:cool:
Kevin

I have read that they are not a superhot. Have you ever had or grown a giant white habs to compare to? Those really are beautiful Kevin! Look foward to having that beauty in the garden.

I've grown the 7-Pot White last season and also tried the Giant White Hab. unfornately the seeds from 2 sources didn't grow true. So I couldn't compare them. I liked the taste of the 7Pot White a lot but to me it was hotter then your regular Habanero. At the end of the season the pods were more yellow then white, I was told this was due the lack of enough sun hours? Luckily I managed to find some true Giant White Hab seeds for the 2013 season, so I can compare them.
Thanks for the info and happy growing. Taste good aye? I too will be comparing.
Jim Duffy's comment really got me wondering.

I have both growing, as well. White 7 seeds from Pepperlover.com and Giant White Hab from Ajijoe. So....we'll see!
Did you notice they were missing from the pepperlover site? I'm hoping this is some kind of a conspiracy against me, i need some excitement in life! I losing it over here :crazy: ;)
Your definitely ahead of me, so looking foward to what may come.
Be it white or not, 7 or hab.

And don't Kevin's pods look amazing!

Did you notice they were missing from the pepperlover site? I'm hoping this is some kind of a conspiracy against me, i need some excitement in life! I losing it over here :crazy: ;)
Your definitely ahead of me, so looking foward to what may come.
Be it white or not, 7 or hab.

And don't Kevin's pods look amazing!

I had not looked on pepperlover.com since I ordered them a few months ago. And yes, if I get white pods that look half that good, with half that much oil, I'll be psyched.

And yes, if I get white pods that look half that good, with half that much oil, I'll be psyched.

Ditto

I'm growing some Peruvian White Habs this year, but after seeing wayright's pictures I can't wait to get my hands on some of those seeds.
I too will be growing a Peruvian white hab this year. And a jellybean white hab too. If either of my larger whites, the 7 or giant, grow out like that, i will send you some seeds!

So, those of you who were growing either/both can you offer some follow-up from your 2013 grow?

cone9 said:
So, those of you who were growing either/both can you offer some follow-up from your 2013 grow?
Both were very similar, but not identical. Each had pods that would surprise you with good heat ever once in a while. Flavor was about the same. The GWH was more productive from me, but that was probably situational.
Great flavor on both. You can't go wrong with either one.
Peruvian white have had a bit less heat and flavor versus the jellybean white hab. The jellybeans where much smaller with the largest pod being twice a normal jellybean's size. The Peruvian white habs were longer with some as long as 1.5".
Also...
I picked up a white 7 from a different source this year to compare to both, the GWH and White 7 which I am over wintering.
Hope that helps cone9.
Awesome Picts Nigel!

I got this box from coheed196 (but the peppers were grown by SilverSurfer) in Sept.  I saved the seed from these 7 Pot Whites and they are on my grow list for next year (as are the Cream Fatalii which were wonderful peppers!).  Pretty and tasty peppers!

P9270643.jpg

Back