• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gibberellic Acid

Anybody have any experience with Gibberellic Acid? I just planted 12 Miracle Fruit seeds today and read that Gibberellic Acid can really help with the germination/growth rate. I know that it's a growth hormone, but I've never heard of it before today.

QuadShotz said:

a 4 oz bottle can treat like 200 plants tho. it says to use very little, haha... it also says that you can turn your average lettuce into a 10ft tall tree hahahaha! must be some good stuff

I haven't used the stuff as yet but I'm going out to buy some today, this is what someone had to say on this web site!!!
"Peppers
I tried a 70ppm solution of GA3 on 5 of my habanero pepper plants and on 5 each of my big boy and cherry tomato plants. After 3 weeks I couldn't see any difference between them and the other plants of the same type. I then used a 140ppm solution of GA3 on the same plants and now, 1 week later I can tell a major difference in the height of the treated plants as compared to the untreated ones and also the treated plants are beginning to bloom."
http://www.super-grow.biz/GibberellicAcid.jsp

It does work and is perfectly safe, they use it on cherry trees. But it rapidly loses efficacy on the plant, though, from what I've read on it. Haven't tried it personally yet, but would be interesting to try out.

Hinky said:
It does work and is perfectly safe, they use it on cherry trees. But it rapidly loses efficacy on the plant, though, from what I've read on it. Haven't tried it personally yet, but would be interesting to try out.

I read that it's commonly used on commercial crops as well. Very safe from what I hear!

biggest thing I caught from the reading on this was it "can cause cell elongation"...meaning increased internodal length....good or bad, I don't know..

AlabamaJack said:
biggest thing I caught from the reading on this was it "can cause cell elongation"...meaning increased internodal length....good or bad, I don't know..

Yeah, I dunno... I'm just gonna experiment with it on a few of my plants and see what happens. I can't imagine cell elongation being a good thing right?

superthrive contains B vitamins and Auxin (growth hormone)...

ExtremeBurn said:
Yeah, I'd have to imagine that they're pretty similar... have you used SuperThrive?

First time using superthrive this year. First three weeks after germination, nothing that was really noticeable. Since then I upped the dosage to 4 drops per 1/2 gallon and there has been a noticeable acceleration in growth rate. Entirely because of superthrive? Can't say as my plants are on a fertilizer regimen as well. If I had to guess, I'd say that superthrive is having something to do with the accelerated growth that I am experiencing.

Some on this board do not like using growth hormones on plants. For me, the jury is still out. I want to get a full year experience before I make up my own mind.

ExtremeBurn said:
Anybody have any experience with Gibberellic Acid? I just planted 12 Miracle Fruit seeds today and read that Gibberellic Acid can really help with the germination/growth rate. I know that it's a growth hormone, but I've never heard of it before today.

Ive been using it for soaking the seeds. The past 6 months ive been doing that, beside sterilizing seeds with hydrogen peroxide. Before every germination.

Im going to continue the hydrogen peroxide, but im going to stop with the GA. I dont claim that it neither is harmful or harmless. Some of the supplements i have on my shelf is cause of reading too much hydroponics magazines etc. :) GA is available in US, even though it is not considered safe for humans according to MSDS. It wont ever be approved for selling in stores, in EU. Anyway, maybe it is safe, maybe not, maybe a little unsafe, but, why risk... It can be that its safe if used with very caution and moderation. We should not forget that agent orange was an auxin! So we never know. I myself are going to stop with the GA, cause I dont feel good using it, first when i started buying supplements and growing indoors, everything i saw looked exciting and cool and whatever... hehe, but, well now im trying to keep it more and more simple :)

Back