• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GL2 - TSBT & Y7P in Jiffy's in W.Australia

This is Grow Log #2.

This time I thought I would try the Jiffy's as a seed growing medium.

I bought 20 x TSBT and 20 x Y7P from the hippy seed co (always good service - like all the seed people I have dealt with).

Step 1 - go and buy Jiffy's. This is where I made my first blue. See if you can spot where...

IMG_20120216_221308.jpg

Step 2 - I thought I would give the flotation test a try as it worked nicely for me with some Habanero seeds that I took from a fresh pod last year. According to the theory (as I understand it) if the seed sinks, then it has a high probability of germination. If it floats - not so high. So, I put them all in a glass of water (TSBT in one glass and the Y7P in a separate glass) and swooshed them around with my finger and waited. They all floated. OK. That gives us a reference point to check out the validity of this theory.

Step 3 - I put 2 seeds per Jiffy (except for the last 2 which managed to get a home of their own).

IMG_20120216_224445.jpg

These will sit under the shadecloth. Let's see what happens.

note to self: you owe Mum a new pastry container

Looking good Simon, fascinating to watch them sprout like that outside in the garden, kicking myself i never grew super hots while i was living in Perth, i just grew the regular chilli`s like Cayenne & Jalapeno etc etc.

They should be OK over winter there shouldn't they? i know the days are late teens or twenty`s a mostly sunny, its just the killer summer days that shag things up. :fireball:

There`s a company on the northern suburbs who sell this fine misting system, its almost like a fog & uses very high pressure pumps, they had it set up around there office door when you walked in & i remember it was 40+ day & as you walked through the fog/mist it was so cool i was amazed.

EDIT: Just found the company, very pricey but amazing to walk through, like outdoor AC.

So you should be getting a crop just prior to Christmas & then just shade them in jan & feb (hottest months).

Mezo.

Looking good Simon, fascinating to watch them sprout like that outside in the garden, kicking myself i never grew super hots while i was living in Perth, i just grew the regular chilli`s like Cayenne & Jalapeno etc etc.

They should be OK over winter there shouldn't they? i know the days are late teens or twenty`s a mostly sunny, its just the killer summer days that shag things up. :fireball:

There`s a company on the northern suburbs who sell this fine misting system, its almost like a fog & uses very high pressure pumps, they had it set up around there office door when you walked in & i remember it was 40+ day & as you walked through the fog/mist it was so cool i was amazed.

EDIT: Just found the company, very pricey but amazing to walk through, like outdoor AC.

So you should be getting a crop just prior to Christmas & then just shade them in jan & feb (hottest months).

Mezo.

Yeah, the mister would probably do the trick - but not at that price thanks very much. So, this has been my first full summer with the Bhuts and I think, as you say, just have to write off summer and hope for reasonable returns during spring and autumn. I am going to severely hack back the Bhuts in about May if I dont see any action by then and keep them much smaller than what they are now (this should be on my other glog actually). I also have 2 Trinidad Scorpions which hated the heat as well - but they have developed a lot of flowers recently - so will be interesting to see how they go over the next month or so. Habs are rocking along beautifully as always and appear to have recovered from their bout of fruit fly.

So, these seedlings that this glog is all about are going along nicely. Not much else to say on that matter :)

Well, I found one of the seedlings layed over and broken off where the stem met the earth. Not sure what would cause that. So, I decided maybe best to start potting some up just as a hedge.

IMG_20120423_210017.jpg

So I grabbed a couple of the Yellow 7's and potted them up along with a Marouga Red

IMG_20120423_211857.jpg

Will do the others when I have a bit more time to mix up more potting mix in the next couple of days.

The jiffy pellets seem to work great bro. Ur grow is coming along nicely. thnx for sharing.

Thanks benzo. My observations of the jiffys are that the germination rate is questionable but those that do germinate grow very well and quite fast compared to the seed mix I have been using.

My Bhuts im also experimenting in Jiffys have shown no sign of life whatsoever? they came out of the ripe pod & on to the jiffy`s,
Do you need to leave them to dry out a bit before trying to germinate them?

Mezo.

Just revisiting your point about germination Mezo - my germination rate has been very iffy. I have a batch of Trinidad Scorpion Marugao Yellow that have failed to pop while a batch of Trinidad Scorpion Maruga Red have had a few pop (about 6 out of 20 from memory). Both batches were planted at the same time and have sat next to each other. So, I think it may be better to start them some other way and then put them in the jiffys once they are on their way as they grow really well in the jiffys if they do germinate.

Back