• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Glog of Swedish peppers

Hi guys! 

I'm new to growing chili's, but hopefully I've done my research right. I first got some seeds from a gardening store that I I wasn't super excited about, so I've ordered some more online. The store bought are about 2 weeks in I believe, and the new ones were put in a moist paper towel and sealed up yesterday. I think I'm a bit late planting chili's, but here it goes.

The ones I've planted are:
Jalastar (the store bought ones - some sort of hybrid) x7
Dorset Naga Orange x3
Bhut Jolokia Peach x3 
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate x3
Devil's Tongue Yellow x3 
Fatalii Brown x3
Prik Leung Thai Orange x3

I plan to keep 2 of each I think, I don't have the space for more. 

1q0dxoY.jpg

One of them has funny leaves because they came up half undeveloped or dead or something. 

I got some seeds from a restaurant in London back in May, and plated a few. According to my googling these should be serranos

2015-06-10%2015.21.55-1_zpscqge0pet.jpg

But they are awfully fuzzy, do serranos have this much hair?

2015-08-20%2018.26.39_zpsnjclcjk9.jpg

I guess an update is long overdue. I've not got a whole of lot of pictures though. I think about 2/3 of my plants are already compost. I had a lot, mostly supers, that didn't set fruit, partly because they were planted too late, and partly because of the weather conditions. Anyway, I decided to make space. 

I started a project for next year, this is technically on the north side of the house, but it gets sun nearly the whole day, so most of my raised bed growing will be here next year, I doubt I'll have peppers there though. I did not have a more recent pic, but some of these are double stacked now, and nearly full with compost, grass clippings, the old sail which I intend to reuse, and I've also put some chicken poop in there for the extra nutes, hopefully this should be enough. I've already planted my garlic in there, about 2 ish weeks ago, and frost will hit any day now, the garlic bed is covered with leaves from our trees.

This was my first Monkey Face harvested, and you have to look very hard to find a face. I bought this plant from a nursery, mostly for the giggles, but I actually love the flavour. I read that it has tropical or mango hints, personally I'd say papaya. Super good, perfect heat (for me). Could not be happier with this plant, made sure to save lots of seeds.

It's a bit thin walled, and goes soft because of that fast, even when it's still on the plant.

The Japeño x mango marmelade has been a massive hit, so I cooked up a second batch. 

My only scotch bonnet finally showed it's true colours! I was beyond excited, as it's the only fruit I had on that plant.

I finally harvested it today, I left it a bit longer for the seeds.

Had a mini harvest today, and picked a bunch of Peruvian Purple. They are quite bitter raw, but work well in cooking. It's a nice plant with purple leaves, and it sets lots of fruit.

As frost is approaching, I harvested my two cayenne plants that were out in the green house. All but two of these were from the same plant. The second plant was a bit weird and has only produced 2-3 pepper. There is one single cayenne left on one, as it was going red, so I thought I'd save it and hope for seeds.

The green house itself is looking very empty. I used to have 18 cherry tomato plants, 30 ish cucumber plants, 15 ish pepper plants in there.

My winter projects are doing great! They have grown huge, I really should have topped them ages ago, but they started flowering and setting fruit, so I didn't have the heart to. I've got fruits on my Aji Verde, Aji Cito, Melocoton and Star of Turkey so far, with my Aleppo flowering now. My two serranos have set 5 fruits each, given that they are in tiny 0.8L pots, I'm quite happy.

Some of my supers only recently set fruits, and it was actually aphids that were behind the pollination of them. They won't have time to mature unfortunately, but I'm not that bothered by supers anymore, I'll probably still grow them next year, but more as a novelty plants. 

I bought a whole bunch of air pots for next year too, so I'm excited to try that out. My first year has been a steep learning curve, and I've learnt a lot. Thanks to a lot of nice people on THP I'm not too bummed about this year, despite the weather and a lot of my plants not setting fruit. A lot of people have been really nice and hooked me up with seeds, I've learnt a lot about caring for plants. Next year will be a blast! And a lot better organised.

Meteora 360 said:
Nice! :)
How big is your Greenhouse? I´m planing to get one for 2016 and i like the size of yours

It's 6,2 m^2, very decent size, but I'd try and get something with a higher roof, it gets a little cramped.

Runescape said:
How do your Star of Turkeys look?

That monkey face pepper definitely sounds interesting.

Thank you for looking. The Star of Turkey is quite impressive size wise considering it's in a 1.4 litre pot. 

I believe I have 6 fruits on there currently, and they are quite small. Not entirely sure how big they are supposed to be though. 

The plants in these small pots need water every 2 days, and sometimes I forget, so they look extremely droopy in between. 

If you're interested I'd be more than happy to hook you up with seeds to the Monkey Face.

Comptine said:

I believe I have 6 fruits on there currently, and they are quite small. Not entirely sure how big they are supposed to be though. 

If you're interested I'd be more than happy to hook you up with seeds to the Monkey Face.
Nice, that is pretty impressive.

Thanks for the seed offer, but I'm sure I can find them locally.

You got any more varieties to recommend that are around that heat level?

Runescape said:
You got any more varieties to recommend that are around that heat level?

I'm afraid I don't. I'm a newbie when it comes to growing, and my choices have been all over the place. I really liked red thai's because they do well in cooking. 

Another one that I really like is the Kitchenpepper, I finally had a ripe fruit off a plant I just brought indoors. The colour was amazing, it's like a pastel orange. It was spicier than the monkey though. Thin walled, not that much of it's own flavour, more just like a generic chilli taste to it. Also went well in cooking. 

I love the colour on it!

The season continues indoors! My winter projects have done well in setting fruit. However, I believe the plants sense winter coming, a lot of them are shedding leaves now that there is less sun, is that a thing? 

Window grow! In thi window I have Aji Verde, Aji Cito and Aji Melecoton (the last two are doing extremely well setting lots of fruits!)

First Aji Cito even ripened. Still haven't tried it, I have high expectations for the Ajis.

I have two tiny Serano plants, both in 0.8 litre pots, I've already harvested 4 fruits, and I have more on the plant stil ripening. I'm sure they are much smaller than they would be in a larger pot, I just wanted to try this pepper before committing. My Jalapeños did so well and they are larger fruits, so I'm leaning towards them, rather than Serranos.

Two of my outside plants brought in are ripening as well. This is Red Thai, I really enjoyed growing this one.

Second one is Kitchenpepper, it was hard to get a shot with all the orange fruit, it likes to hide.

This was a bonus pack from pepperlover called Yukari Bakan, they seem to be growing well, in clusters, it looks very tight in there.

And my Star of Turkey has three ripening fruits, once again I believe they should be bigger, but due to a small pot came out tiny. It's currently going through orange, and then red? I believe they should be red.

Back