• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Goan-Style Pork Vindaloo

I did a little surfing around and had a few hit and miss vindaloo's. This one is pretty damn good though. It's a keeper! I changed the recipe around a bit from the original so that it's easier to follow. I hate it when you have the ingredients all over the place rather than grouped together. I've reorganized this one so that the ingredients go together with how you use them. I've added dried red chilies and ground cayenne pepper, but most here will probably need more.

----------------------------

1 cup vegetable oil
2 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced
6 dried red chillies

2 ½ pounds pork shoulder or butt, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes

1 ½ teaspoons whole cumin seed
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds (not pods, seeds)
1 (3-inch) stick of cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole black mustard seed
1 teaspoon fenugreek seed

1/3 cup white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar

1-inch cube fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
1 small whole head of garlic, peeled and finely chopped

1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric

1 cup water

---------------------------

1. Grind the cumin seeds, peppercorns, cardamom seeds, cinnamon stick, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in a spice grinder and set aside.
  2. In a large, deep frying pan (with lid for use later), heat the oil over medium heat; add onions and dried chillies cook, stirring occasionally, until onions turn golden brown and crisp. Leaving the chillies in the pan, remove the onions and drain on paper towels. Set aside the frying pan with the remaining oil.
  3. When the onions are finished frying combine the onion, vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and brown sugar with ground spice mixture in a blender or food processor and blend to a smooth paste. This mixture is the Vindaloo paste.
  4. Heat the oil in reserved frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the cubed pork in small batches to ensure they brown nicely, placing cooked pork in a bowl until all pork is browned nicely. The meat is best browned in a cast iron or stainless steel pan so that the meat sticks to the bottom of the pan. You need the meat to stick and ‘burns’ slightly. When you scrape it to brown all sides there should be little bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. These will burn, but they add SO much to the flavor. Don't worry, the pan will deglaze as the water is added and the meat is cooked over an hour. Remove last batch of pork from the pan.
  5. Next, add the ginger-garlic paste to the frying pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook and stir paste for a few seconds, then stir in the ground coriander and turmeric, again cooking for just few seconds. Quickly stir in the browned pork cubes and accumulated juices, the vindaloo paste and the 1 cup water. Bring mixture to a boil and Be sure to scrape the bits off the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until pork is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
  6. Serve with cooked Basmati or long grain white rice.

Nutrition Facts: (per serving: 1/10 portion without rice): 357.4 calories; 61% calories from fat; 24.7g total fat; 62.4mg cholesterol; 495.0mg sodium; 639.3mg potassium; 7.5g carbohydrates; 1.6g fibre; 2.1g sugar; 5.9g net carbohydrates; 26.3g protein.

-------------

Cooking shot. Sorry for the cross post THP. It's the only shot I have right now. I'll update it when I have more pics after the next time I make it.

vindaloo-009.jpg

Looks tastey, fenugreek is my new best friend, love the smell, I have a pot of beef soup on the stove right now with a lot of the same ingredients but I substitute the water with my rhubarb wine and I used scotch bonnets that I have in the freezer.

Local weather report for the rest of the world, we have been fighting, bitterly cold weather for about a week now(-30 to -40 C). brrrrrrrrrrrr! I just walked outside to put the recycle cart out(its garabe pick up day, today) and the thermometer is registering at -24C, but its going to warm up to -15 by 3pm.(sad, I know).

This is the first vindaloo I've made that has fenugreek in it. I think it's what really sets it above the rest. It gives it a rich creamy flavor. Love it.

We've been getting pretty much the same weather here in BC. Had a few days at -31c and right now we're sitting at a balmy -14c. Supposed to warm up to -5c by Thursday though.

I had never in my 42 years heard of fenugreek. I thought you all were making it up until I googled it.

....and even now, I'm not too sure what the hell it is.

If you can't find fenugreek in the asian foods spice section try a health food store. The stuff is actually pretty damn good for you. One study found that it increases breast size as well as increased breast milk production by 900%. No fooling!

Yum! Vindaloo is my favourite!
That's very similar to how I do it, except!...
Some tamarind paste, and apple cider vinegar (as opposed to white) give it a really nice full flavour!
I got my recipe from an Indian chef here in Melbourne, he gave it to me because I asked for extra chili in my order of vindaloo that evening! Ha!

Back