• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Goat's weed topping

Hello People, Newb here posting on the site but have been on here reading very good info and been growing peppers for years . Have been reading about topping your plants for bigger pod yield and thought i would try this on some goats weed i grew this year. Has anyone tried this before with this piticular pepper? Mine didint seem to like it, it just wanted to keep growing straight up like its supposed to(tree like). I topped it and it sprouted right next to my cut and kept growing straight up. a few other branches sprouted but not like the main one. im kind of thinking i should let it be the tree it wants to be and not top this pepper.

Two years ago I topped a bahamian goat pepper and it did the same thing.  I felt bad actually.  Don't know if I did it wrong or too late or what, but that plant never did seem to grow like it looked like it would prior to my botched top attempt.  I chalked it up to doing it wrong and haven't topped a plant since.  YMMV.  :)

I prefer low stress training (tying down) vs topping. Here is a Chiltepin I'm growing right now. The branch on the left is the the top of the plant. The right side of the plant is bottom growth. It works better with certain varieties. Sorry for the bad pic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 56
Yeah, i feel bad also for topping. I planted quite a few this year (about 80) to fill up a planter i have, why not? lol , I was running out of dried peppers for my salsas so i needed to restock.   They seem to be watching each other to see who is the tallest and then you just cut them in half, heart breaking!!  i will read up on the low stress training and might give that a try.

rickvm said:
Fort Worth. Thanks to everyone for the welcome

Cool, I work in Ft. Worth. Bunch of us try to get together about once a month and eat some peppers and tacos. More than welcome to join us anytime.

Sounds awesome and thanks for the invite !!! PM me info the next time your planning to get together.  Hopefully my work schedule will allow it. Thanks again. Also, How do i load pics?

I posted an ad for some seeds. Maybe I can get some here locally. Looking for some tree habs and other stuff.

nonsense! Top that sombitch and top it again and again, teach it not to grow like a stick. Its a lil' late in the season for topping though. I've been growing goatsweeds for 6 or 7 years. There many variations and pheno's of goatsweed out there but mine grow like a stick if I don't top them. There is only two strains in my pepper stable I believe in topping, one is goatsweed and the other is onza amarillo (very similar structure).
But it must be done right and in the plants youth.

well i guess ill give it a try next year on a few and see what happens. i got a late start this year and dont want to chop anymore this late in the season. they just started flowering. they are healthy and strong and growing, well like weeds.  A little history. My dad got these peppers from a friend about 30 yrs ago. He really liked them fresh and gave some to my mom to make some salsa. well my dad started growing them and been giving them to friends and family ever since.  I guess the  tradition got passed on to me, but i really enjoy it. wow, 30 generation of the same pepper strain. a few hybrids here and there and still have them, maybe next year ill grow some out.

rickvm said:
well i guess ill give it a try next year on a few and see what happens. i got a late start this year and dont want to chop anymore this late in the season. they just started flowering. they are healthy and strong and growing, well like weeds.  A little history. My dad got these peppers from a friend about 30 yrs ago. He really liked them fresh and gave some to my mom to make some salsa. well my dad started growing them and been giving them to friends and family ever since.  I guess the  tradition got passed on to me, but i really enjoy it. wow, 30 generation of the same pepper strain. a few hybrids here and there and still have them, maybe next year ill grow some out.

Thats a great story! In my area its kinda a Mexican heirloom pepper. The local vineyard workers have been growing them many generations in Sonoma as well. But they call it "Diablo" and they wont listen to me when I tell them its actually called goatsweed.  :lol:

Maybe its a west coast thing !!! Im Grew up just north of L.A., then moved out to texas and my dad brought me some peppers on a trip. It is a mexican heirloom for sure.

hogleg said:
nonsense! Top that sombitch and top it again and again, teach it not to grow like a stick. Its a lil' late in the season for topping though. I've been growing goatsweeds for 6 or 7 years. There many variations and pheno's of goatsweed out there but mine grow like a stick if I don't top them. There is only two strains in my pepper stable I believe in topping, one is goatsweed and the other is onza amarillo (very similar structure).
Did not top two of them plants you sent me seeds for, and now one mofo is almost as tall as me. Damm. Will top them all next season for sure.

rickvm said:
Hello People, Newb here posting on the site but have been on here reading very good info and been growing peppers for years . Have been reading about topping your plants for bigger pod yield and thought i would try this on some goats weed i grew this year. Has anyone tried this before with this piticular pepper? Mine didint seem to like it, it just wanted to keep growing straight up like its supposed to(tree like). I topped it and it sprouted right next to my cut and kept growing straight up. a few other branches sprouted but not like the main one. im kind of thinking i should let it be the tree it wants to be and not top this pepper.

I am growing my Black Cobra, aka Goats Weed for the second time this year. I topped one, one year, and did not top the other in a consecutive year, so no side-by-side comparison. But I can say that the plant that was topped tended to put more of its effort into a primary branch, even when topped, whereas other varieties of peppers don't usually have so much focus on a single branch once topped.

My suggestion with Goats Weed in, particualr to topping or not, would be to let it grow naturally. It should be a very beautiful plant in the end. I have a very few piucs in my GLOG which the link is in my sig, if you're interested. Pics of this year's plant only, though... sorry.

hogleg said:
I topped the plant from your seeds without any success.
Now is tall like a palm tree but is a nice looking plant.
Thanks again for the seeds.

Mrgrowguy, do your black cobra peppers stand up or are the hanging down or pendent while growing? I've seen pics of both these peppers and the Cobras peppers hang down in some pictures, my goats weed never hang down. I'm pretty confident these are two different seperate species.

Back