• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Going rate for superhots

Hello everyone, been a lurker for a while but haven't posted anything other then my introduction for my first post. Was just wondering where I would be able to find the going rate for ghost, moruga an reapers peppers? I have a sauce maker that wants me to start growing for her but I don't want to get ripped off, or rip her off on the price. If someone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, thanks :)

That's a good question. I'm sure it is a variable based on location, availability, volume, quality, etc.
For example, there is a supermarket here that sells orange habanero's for $10 a pound but that's supermarket pricing.
If you look in the marketplace here in the forum you can see most are selling pods by volume based on what can fit in a small or medium fixed-rate box.

Like Hawaiianero said,it depends of where you are at?What your growing season is and so on.Most of them are going to take 120 days to mature. That after the seeds sprout which some can take up to a month.Location and seeds pay apart in this too. :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

ROFL GOING RATE, NOT GROWING RATE!
Code:
he's from Ontario Canada per his welcome post.

his last frost is may 20-june20 depending where he is.

I'd say go look at pic1 's grow log he's from chicago so comparable weather?

oh start indoors, 120 days plant is like 25-50cm tall, put outside in big container, another 40 days and you'll have your first decent harvest (guestimate)

Lol juanito I was a little confused when you told me when to plant out hahaha. Anyone know how many peppers are in a bushel?

p24martin said:
Anyone know how many peppers are in a bushel?
Oh a couple of pecks at least, more if you pickle them :surprised:

Sorry but that's a really hard question. A bushel is measured by volume.
Depends on your growing skills and luck to determine average size of your peppers. You would need twice as many poorly grown peppers than if you had perfectly grown ones.

If this person is wanting produce based on bushels I'm thinking you got a really hard uphill battle to meet that unless you have access to greenhouses or a fair sized plot of land. You would also need a couple hours of time per day - every day - to maintain the plants.

Don't get me wrong, if this is what you want to do then by all means do it! Just be careful and don't sign anything until you can prove to yourself that you're capable of providing what is asked for.

Ya I'm not signing anything. The 3 varieties I'm growing for them are Ghost, Moruga and Reapers. For starters they want 3-5 pounds of each at $20 a pound. I think that sounds like a fair price. They were just tellin me they buy peppers by the bushel, I was just curious if there were different sizes for bushels or if it was one standard unit of measurement.

$20 a pound?

h0cJjCg.jpg

For peppers I'd say you'd be looking at somewhere between 20 to 30 lbs per bushel for peppers.  Some peppers thinner walls and lighter would mean less lbs per bushel whereas thick walled green/orange peppers will have more weight per bushel.  Here is another link that might be helpful - though it doesn't include peppers ppb (pounds per bushel) I do think peppers would be around okra per bushel on average.  This final link confirms my original thoughts.

So if you're growing out Ghost/Moruga/Reapers for em and they want is 3-5lbs to start you won't need near as many plants as you would if they were buying bushels.  Also I think $20 a lb is fair if they're buying small quantities like that.  If they end up buying more than that you can cut them a deal.  ;)

I would most definitely cut them a deal if they ended up buying more from me then their other supplier. They're local, their other supplier is not, so they have to pay shipping every time they order, which is why they want me to grow for them. I also want to recuperate some of my start up costs in the beginning, which isn't much.

Back