• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

going to do my first "poppers"

hey there, I think I've found a great habanero poppers recipe which I'd like to try, BUT I have a few questions.

http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/habanero-pepper-poppers/

that's the recipe I'd like to try

my first question is: would it work to have some frying oil in a deeper pan to make the frying, instead of with one of those which are made to fry things? not sure the name.:oops:

secondly, I'm wondering if anyone have an idea for a more foodish 'stuffing'. maybe I could put some minced meat with some seasoning of choice and mix with some other kind of cheese? oh well, I can always try until I get something I'm really happy with.

and, when frying them, does it get less hot or is it unchanged, or even hotter in some magic way?

thanks in advance!

hmm, maybe this would be better in the test kitchen. is it possible to move the thread? sorry about this!

munchzilla said:
my first question is: would it work to have some frying oil in a deeper pan to make the frying, instead of with one of those which are made to fry things? not sure the name.:oops:

those fry things are called "Deep Fat Fryers"...you can put enough cooking oil in a frying pan to float the pepper if you have a pan big enough and that will work just as well but you will need to watch them to keep them from burning...

munchzilla said:
secondly, I'm wondering if anyone have an idea for a more foodish 'stuffing'. maybe I could put some minced meat with some seasoning of choice and mix with some other kind of cheese? oh well, I can always try until I get something I'm really happy with.

if you want to change the stuffing, that is really the recipe so for future reference, I just used canned chunked chicken breast, flake it up and add equal parts of "mexican style nacho blend" cheese (shredded mild cheddar, monterey Jack cheese, and jalapenos), then use a little tony sacheres cajun spice...thats my stuffing...

munchzilla said:
and, when frying them, does it get less hot or is it unchanged, or even hotter in some magic way?

IMO the heat spreads all through the pepper and stuffing when you cook them like this...

the cheese melts and with its fat content allows the capsaicin to flow freely through the pepper...

same thing with bacon wrapped grilled stuffed peppers...the bacon gets spicy...

mmmm, that nacho blend and chicken sounds so good. made me really hungry.
is monterey jack cheese only available in the states by the way? never heard of it before actually. but if I don't find it I'll just skip it or replace it with something else I find tasteful.

thanks for taking your time and answering my questions. got to go shopping tomorrow! :D I wonder if it will be too hot with red savinas hmm... oh well, I have to build up my tolerance any way.

I tried my recipe with jamaican hots (red, yellow, and chocolate) and it is delicious...

gonna make some this weekend with Chocolate habs, devils tongue, fatalii, 7 pots, and yellow and red scorpions and maybe a dorset...maybe 3 or 4 each, then make a bunch of others too...

yeah I saw your thread, looks very nice. not sure if I'll do it with bacon but you never know, I think I have some at home.

going to try this tomorrow with my red savinas, found some really large ones which should be perfect.

decided to go for minced meat, some seasoning of choice, a little salsa, some cheddar and to go with it I'll mix some sourcream dip.

would really like to try this with another pepper like the naga or maybe the trinidad scorpion. too bad I don't have any of these available.

think I'll make salsa from the rest of the red savinas.

thanks!

oh yeah I actually finished those a couple of days ago. worked out great, a bit hot with the red savina as chili but the taste was awesome with the cheddar and minced meat and all the seasonings. have to try this with a milder pepper if I find any. where I live I can find these:
red savina, normal red habaneros, jalapeno, piri piri, some others just named "Red Chili Pepper" which have a green variety too, not hot at all.
sucks really bad. I'd really love to try with anything milder but big enough to have quite much stuffing in them

Back